Packages won't install

Dave W

On the custom firmware, I am trying to add a non-freesat channel to the freesat list, and to do this I presumably need the channel-editor package, which is listed under 'Available Packages'. When I click the button to install it, I get failure::
* opkg_download: Failed to download [snipped]hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/crond_1.0_mips.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download crond. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package crond.
I get failure on every package I've tried. Any suggestions?

Strange, I just tried downloading it direct (Paste hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/crond_1.0_mips.opk into a browser) and it downloaded OK, so it appears that there is nothing wrong at 'their end'.
Try that on your computer to see if it downloads OK.
Just how to get it on the Foxsat from there? Pass.

Strange, I just tried downloading it direct (Paste hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/crond_1.0_mips.opk into a browser) and it downloaded OK, so it appears that there is nothing wrong at 'their end'.
Try that on your computer to see if it downloads OK.
Just how to get it on the Foxsat from there? Pass.
Yes I was able to download two .opk packages to my PC, but how do I get them installed into the Humax?

Well... what's the current version of the Custom Firmware, and what's your installed version? I presume you installed it, so...

Well... what's the current version of the Custom Firmware, and what's your installed version? I presume you installed it, so...
I have:
Custom FW v4.1.3
Software version HPRSFCI 1.00.21
Loader Version U 7.52
Update Date 27 Jul 2012

Now you tell me the latest version - it's not in your newbies' guide.

Are you sure the device has basic network connectivity and working DNS? Telnet on to it and do some checks.

I have:
Custom FW v4.1.3
Software version HPRSFCI 1.00.21
Loader Version U 7.52
Update Date 27 Jul 2012

Here are my error messages:
------------------------------------------------------------------
wget: bad address 'hpkg.tv'
Installing channel-editor (0.53-2) to root...
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/channel-editor_0.53-2_mips.opk.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/channel-editor_0.53-2_mips.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download channel-editor. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package channel-editor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
hpkg.tv homepage only has links to Freeview packages not Freesat.
Foxsat packages are still on hpkg.tv/foxsat/, but the installer is looking for it in
http://hpkg.tv/foxsat/base/channel-editor_0.53-2_mips.opk, and there is no 'base' directory.
I have downloaded the channel-editor from the foxsat folder but I don't know how to install it.
I also don't know where 'opkg update' is.

1. See post 7;

2. I'm not into Foxsat - I just offered a suggestion (like you asked, and surely you are capable of looking up what the latest firmware version is???);

3. My Newbies' Guide is about how to use the forum, not how to "do" CF - and even if it was, it would be about the HDR-FOX CF not the Foxsat CF (if you mean my Quick Guide to CF - that's definitely about HDR-FOX not Foxsat).

I also don't know where 'opkg update' is.
It's a terminal command, you would need to open a Telnet session to get access to the command line (which, I suspect, you will need to sort this out anyway). For Telnet on HDR-FOX see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet (for tips).

First you need to check whether your Foxsat can reach the Internet at all (as per post 9 - all I am doing is reinterpreting the information for you) - obviously, if it can't then it can't access the package stuff. There are ways to do that through the menus on a HDR-FOX, but I have no idea on a Foxsat (if you can get a Telnet session up, you can just run a ping command to a known IP address such as that for hpkg.tv).

If the Internet access isn't the problem, clearly you have a broken installation and the simplest fix is (I guess) to start again.

BTW: this is not the primary support forum for Foxsat CF.

Last edited:
Mission accomplished!

I put the opk file into a USB stick, plugged it into the Humax and it automatically installed.
Yes I was mistaken in saying there is no 'base' directory. However the built-in package installer can download the Available packages list OK but still won't install any of them.

I don't need to go further, but for interest I followed the telnet instructions link given by Black Hole. I did not get a menu page - all I got was 'Foxsat-HDR~#' at the cursor. I entered prpr's command line and got back 'nameserver: 81.139.56.100', which is the DNS address displayed on screen on the 'Configure Ethernet' screen. I don't know how that address got there because I had configured something different there.

So I changed both 'Router Address' and 'DNS Address' to that of my BT hub, and I'm glad to say that the package installer now works. I don't know if both these addresses should always be the same.

My one remaining task is to find if there's a "primary support forum for Foxsat CF". Thanks for your help and I apologise for troubling everybody here.

I don't know if both these addresses should always be the same.
The router address must point at the device that connects your network to the Internet. Most routers will act as DNS servers or forwarders so it is very common to use the same address but you can use a different DNS server eg google 8.8.8.8 or Open DNS 208.67.222.222. The 81.139.56.100 is on the BT network; have you changed your broadband provider away from BT?

Last edited:
I entered prpr's command line and got back 'nameserver: 81.139.56.100', which is the DNS address displayed on screen on the 'Configure Ethernet' screen. I don't know how that address got there because I had configured something different there.

So I changed both 'Router Address' and 'DNS Address' to that of my BT hub, and I'm glad to say that the package installer now works. I don't know if both these addresses should always be the same.
It depends on your router, as Martin says. This is probably why you should be using DHCP rather than static addressing, unless you really know exactly what you're doing.

It depends on your router, as Martin says. This is probably why you should be using DHCP rather than static addressing, unless you really know exactly what you're doing.
There is a bit of evidence to suggest that avoiding using the router as the DNS server is beneficial; however at the moment not enough for me to say anything definitive (and whether it helps or not probably depends on how crappy the router is).

Back