Padding causing start of next program to be missing

Archie

I've noticed that if you have padding set, and record two consecutive programs, it can put the start of program 2 at the end of program 1. Surely, it would have been more sensible to record the padding buffer onto both recordings?

Does the alternative firmware behave any differently?

I am afraid that is normal behaviour. No, the CF (Custom Firmware) does the same in this regard.

The first post in THIS TOPIC (click) describes the exact behaviour. If the change-over between programmes does not occur at the EPG scheduled time, there will be a migration of the end of the first or the beginning of the second.

I've noticed that if you have padding set, and record two consecutive programs, it can put the start of program 2 at the end of program 1. Surely, it would have been more sensible to record the padding buffer onto both recordings?

The Humax products won't allow the same channel to be recorded twice even if there are two tuners free, So you can't record BBC1 from 9PM to 10 PM and record BBC1 from 9:15PM to 9:45PM, Because of this padding between consecutive programs on the same channel is turned off, If prog 1 runs over by 5Mins. it is tacked onto the start of prog2. and lost from the end of prog1

The Humax products won't allow the same channel to be recorded twice even if there are two tuners free, So you can't record BBC1 from 9PM to 10 PM and record BBC1 from 9:15PM to 9:45PM, Because of this padding between consecutive programs on the same channel is turned off, If prog 1 runs over by 5Mins. it is tacked onto the start of prog2. and lost from the end of prog1

I understand that. It seems silly to me that, as you already have the data in the buffer, it isn't saved onto the end of one recording and the start of the next as well.

Thanks for the replies.

It does seem silly - we went over the same ground at the start of our own "journeys" - but have had to accept it as one of the quirks of Humax.

If it bothers you, the custom software can join the two recordings together and then you can split them again at a chosen point (as well as remove the adverts!).

It does seem silly - we went over the same ground at the start of our own "journeys" - but have had to accept it as one of the quirks of Humax.

If it bothers you, the custom software can join the two recordings together and then you can split them again at a chosen point (as well as remove the adverts!).

Interesting :)

One technique i have resorted to to get around this problem is to record one item on a standard def channel, and the following item on the corresponding HiDef channel (where available) or resort to the +1 channels for the second program (where these are available). It does take a bit of fiddling when setting them up, but does mean you get a header and trailer on both programs.

My bugbear with padding is that it isn't applied to programs where you set them up by time, in my case I like to combine the BBC News at 6 with the local news following it, but because this is now considered set up by time, there is no padding. If I extend the start time by a minute earlier it gets labelled as the name of the preceeding program.

Back