Passthrough issues in Standby

I'm not suggesting that the signal level indication has much validity. I only mentioned it because it was different from all my other equipment. The main issue here is why the signal is not being passed through when it should be.

I'm receiving from Sudbury which uses channels 41,44,47,56,58 & 60. I don't think think there are any plans to change this until 5G is given the go ahead.

What was the result with power saving on (ie no pass-through)?

Why should pass through be affected by power saving? Shouldn't it be a physical connection from input to output? I can't imaging why Humax would want to build anything other than a splitter there. If they wanted to output an RF modulated signal from the box, that could be passed on into the splitter. That's the way it used to be done with early VHS recorders, before Scart, isn't it? Why capture the whole spectrum and then re-broadcast it?

There is an in-line amplifier so the pass-through is boosted a bit and should be at a similar level to the input. It would otherwise be at a significantly reduced signal level. The amp is powered with Power Saving in Standby = Off, and unpowered with Power Saving in Standby = On. This is to meet the <1W standby power regulations. See Things Every... section 7.

If Kebos gets the same results regardless of the power saving setting, we could postulate that the pass-through amp isn't working.

There is an in-line amplifier so the pass-through is boosted a bit and should be at a similar level to the input. It would otherwise be at a significantly reduced signal. The amp is powered with Power Saving in Standby = Off, and unpowered with Power Saving in Standby = On. This is to meet the <1W standby power regulations. See Things Every... section 7.

But surely the result is that it forces the user to fit a physical splitter, and if the signal was considerably reduced without amplification then it will also be considerably reduced using the physical splitter?

Otherwise, power saving must be turned off, negating its use and wasting power.

Anyway, I can't believe that there was enough aerial lead between my box and TV for the TV to receive most signals even with power saving on in the T2! If I just connect that lead to the TV but disconnect its other end, I get no programs at all.

What can I tell you? That's what the blurb says power saving in standby does. If you never use the TV without the HD/HDR (as would be the case if the TV didn't have a digital tuner), it is quite reasonable not to need the pass-through or even an aerial lead to the TV. Even with a HiDef digital tuner in both my HDR-equiped TVs, I rarely use the TV without the HDR simply for the live pause and easy access to the recording schedule.

Anyway, I can't believe that there was enough aerial lead between my box and TV for the TV to receive most signals even with power saving off in the T2! If I just connect that lead to the TV but disconnect its other end, I get no programs at all.
That would be power saving on, surely? In any case, even with the amp off there is bound to be some kind of bleed through of signals, and if you are in a strong signal area it could well be enough.

For information, a properly designed splitter can send nearly 50% of the signal power down each output, but don't expect anything like that on a cheap resistive splitter. An internal splitter could be designed to only pick off what it needed and send the rest onwards, but achieving the same performance regardless of whether the power is on or off is not so easy. An active circuit to do this is much more practical, and the old VCRs of which you speak will have done this without regard to standby power.

That would be power saving on, surely? In any case, there is bound to be some kind of bleed through of signals, and if you are in a strong signal area it could well be enough.

Correct, I have power saving on, and just turning the TV on using DVB, I get all the BBC channels from the transmitter at Caldbeck (close) but none from the ITV transmitter at Winter Hill (80 miles away)

Back