Pause with black screen on play back

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are seeing occasional (maybe once or twice a day) pauses on playback where the screen goes black for several seconds and the box will not respond to the remote. If left it recovers and plays from the point of interruption (or at least very close to it). Does this sound like the problem af123 has described of the disk retrying on a marginal sector? If so is the solution fix-disk?

It does sound very much like it. fix-disk won't necessarily fix it straight off, but there is no harm in trying it.

This has happened to us this week but only on a non BBC channel. it seems a bit random. I do not have CF.

If it is a disk issue it will not have been caused by the CF, although the CF might show it up sooner. Installing CF2.14 as a firmware update only (no need to download the full interface) gives you Telnet access to disk checking and repair tools.

I should have added that in addition to Martin's "plays from the point of interruption," I fast forwarded a couple of minutes and got what appeared to be a handshaking issue, the 1080pHdmi logo flashing in the top left corner of the screen. It settled to normal play but I could force the black screen (and flashing logo) again with a prolonged (2 mins) f/fwd.
Tried it on a BBC recording but had no issues.
It's no real worry for me.

Back