PC Construction

Idea: repurpose the Advent as a NAS with software RAID
Great idea - slap OmniOS on it if you don't mind the command line for setting up shares etc.! I've been running a cheap HP tower case with lots of disks for just this purpose for a few years.. I don't have enough memory in mine to use the online de-duplication.. I've been meaning to sort that but matching could be tricky..

Thanks for the link, but have you read the warning in red?

For reference: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=249353

I think you will find that is only relevant to a CRT monitor, as it was possible to drive the horizontal output circuit at a frequency it couldn't handle, and if you did that then various waveforms around the EHT circuit would not be correct for the snubber circuits fitted and devices like EHT output transistors would become silicon fuses.

[edit] I see others have said similar, problem with not reading the forum for a while ... [/edit]

Last edited:
I, too, have had problems with setting a desired resolution for Mint desktop.
I got a set of commands which will do it, but it has to be re-done every time the system is rebooted, as the instruction to add a (working) resolution don't persist.
The monitor is connected through a KBM switch, and I don't think the switch can pass good EDID information (but works for a RPi as alternative input to the monitor)/

Good Got a weirdie yesterday: the Win VM popped up a complaint that the product key isn't valid, and wanted me to do a phone in. I just went back into activation and put the key in again, it thought about it, then said OK (like before). I have a screen grab of the activation.

This was a clone of the original VM, and I was running update on it, but that shouldn't have made any difference.

Last edited:
Could it be like the registration of W10? If you re install on a new disk, you still don't have to put in the reg key like what you did in previous versions (Don't know about W8). I believe it puts the reg info in the NVR of the BIOS chip? But that does not explain your "Good a weirdie". In fact, the opposite would be true.
Clone on a new disk or re formatted original or what?

Bloody autocorrect - for "good" read "got".

I've never heard of Win7 writing to BIOS, but in any case the product key is still there. If it happens again I will do a key recovery on it to see that it still reads the same.

This happened to me and I couldn't be bothered with the faffing about, so just bought a Win7 licence from ebay, think it cost me ten quid

Lucky you. When I did that it said something along the lines of Invalid code as it was a rip off code. They sent me several to try but none worked. Got a refund.

This was a clone of the original VM
With the same MAC address or a different one?
There are ways around all this irritation.

As regards monitor resolution, the only one I would consider these days is 1920x1080. Forget anything else.

I, too, have had problems with setting a desired resolution for Mint desktop.
I got a set of commands which will do it, but it has to be re-done every time the system is rebooted, as the instruction to add a (working) resolution don't persist.
The monitor is connected through a KBM switch, and I don't think the switch can pass good EDID information (but works for a RPi as alternative input to the monitor)/
I bet there are some caveats.

To make it permanent you need to manually update the X11 configuration: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=226242

I normally use Fedora: where if things are otherwise working as expected and there is only a problem with the available resolutions, then I find it is easier to just create a file called "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-monitor.conf" (same owner/permissions as the other files that might be found there: "root" and "-rw-r--r--") and add a "Monitor" section (as it usually doesn't seem to have one anywhere in these circumstances). If the file already exists: back it up and, then update or add the Monitor section. Maybe this quick way will work for Mint as well?

Reboot and then set the screen resolution. You can also add a "PreferredMode" option to the Monitor section.

NOTE: If you make a mistake with this and set something as a default that the monitor does not support and there isn't an alternative desktop then you can use a non-desktop login to correct the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks, all input welcome (even if I don't act on it immediately). I am currently using my TV (1920x1080).

Thanks for the pointer kev.
I feel I tried all that, but something stopped it persisting.
I'll make a note and try again

I have a big beige tower case knocking about (my self-build 486), but I'm pretty sure it won't meet my needs for the new system.
Hey, what do you know... it does! This period of enforced staying in has given me breathing space to catch up on a few things - including putting my Zen components into an actual box (plus I needed to clear a path to the TV ready for a slightly bigger TV)!

Back