People experiencing sound problems on installation, some advice...

ElCondor

When I first set up my HDR-2000T I had no sound on installation, and no picture on the screen after the first boot. After much analysis it was down to the HDMI cable used, I'd reused an older one that didn't support the more recent HDMI standard required. Swapping to the one in the box fixed everything so if people do have that issue straight off, don't automatically think it's a box issue.

There has been no change in the HDMI cable specification. The only variation is in the various grades of cable (capable of supporting higher bandwidth signals for High Dynamic Range or Ultra High Definition. The only reasonable conclusion is that your former cable was not fit for purpose.

From the Wikipedia entry for HDMI:
As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, the following cable types are defined for HDMI in general:
  • Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
  • Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
  • Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
  • High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K 30 Hz, 3D and deep color
  • High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
A third category of cable was introduced in October 2015 to certify that cables work at the 18 Gbit/s maximum bandwidth of the HDMI 2.0 specification. This category tests cables at 600 MHz (2160p60 resolution), certifying them as Premium High Speed. In addition to expanding the set of cable testing requirements, the certification program introduces an EMI test to ensure cables minimize interference with wireless signals. These cables are marked with an anti-counterfeiting authentication label and are defined as:
  • Premium High Speed HDMI Cable – 4K 60 Hz, Rec. 2020, and HDR
  • Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
In conjunction with the HDMI 2.1 specification, a fourth category of cable was announced on January 4, 2017, called "48G". The cable is designed to support the 48 Gbit/s bandwidth of HDMI 2.1, supporting 4K, 5K, 8K and 10K at 120 Hz. The cable is backwards compatible with the earlier HDMI devices, using existing HDMI type A, C and D connectors, and includes HDMI Ethernet.
  • 48G Cable – 4K, 5K, 8K and 10K at 120 Hz

That may well be the case - mine was bundles with a Vestel HD device and worked for that - I would presume it didn't meet full spec because the whole thing was a cheaper build, hence me upgrading anyway.

Back