Perl trouble

MrPuddington

I am trying to run get_iplayer - a perl script, but it is not going smoothly. perl seems to have some issues loading native libraries? For example, when I try to run the cpan script, I get:

Can't locate loadable object for module IO in @INC (@INC contains: /mod/lib/perl5/5.10.0/mipsel-linux /mod/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /mod/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/mipsel-linux /mod/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 .) at /mod/lib/perl5/5.10.0/mipsel-linux/IO/Handle.pm line 263
Both IO.pm and IO.so seem to be in the right place, so I am not sure what this is about. Maybe a setting is wrong? But I can't figure it out.

That perl package doesn't work properly beyond basic functionality. Half the binaries are compiled for MIPS-I instead of MIPS32 and have been binary patched to function at all.

Cross compiling perl is an absolute pain so we don't currently have a real fully working perl package. It's been on my todo list for a good while but never got back to the top of it.

Yes, compiling perl can be a quite a pain.

What is the difference between MIPS-I and MIPS32? Or maybe I should ask why are the libraries on the Humax compiled for MIPS-I, when the CPU supports the full MIPS32 instruction set? Debian mipsel is compiled for MIPS32, and it seems to work just fine. (Maybe I should create a Debian chroot, and see how that goes ...)

Back