Photo Organisers

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Until a recent post about the Picasa app on the TV Portal (click), I had no idea Google had dropped Picasa. I'll have to download it (just in case) if I can still find it.

I was never happy with the way Picasa handled edits though. The edited image file replaced the original, with the original disappearing into a hidden backup folder. Reading the wiki entry, it seems that later versions preserve the original and logs the edits for applying on the fly, until you "save" - at which point it applies the edits permanently to the original (and backs up the original to the hidden folder...). I would much prefer edits are applied to a new file with a name of my choosing (preferably automated with a predefined naming formula).

What I did like was its ability to hoover up all my photos from all my various photo folders and access them in one place.

So, given that I want something that works on my PC and not across the Internet, what are the alternatives?

The Picasa download was easy enough to find anyway - direct from Google. Assuming a 13MB setup.exe file is all of it and not just another downloader. And I found I had several previous versions downloaded already (long enough ago to have forgotten - it's only gone up one version point since the last).

Back