Picture break up. HD Bromsgrove

Nick95

Have custom firmware.
Picture breaks up on HD channels. I can see the signal switching between 100% and 50%.
I have 2 separate cables running down from a booster. I have a HD TV. The tv shows 100% on either cable and has no problems. The Hummy.tv shows the same 100% 50% problem on either cable.

So not signal cable booster or aerial issue.
Could this be to do with the hard disk in some way? The custom firmware hdd diags has just one note against overheating. Note that this problem is happening on first switch on.
Up to now this problem has happened randomly but it now seems to have set in. I have doe a couple of full resets.

Have tried 20db attenuator. On info signal bars stay same but signal quality drops to 4 bars when I turn it down. Also checked signal reading using manual search. Why HD affected but SD is fine?
Custom firmware 3.00 build 2137

It is very easy to discount the CF as a factor - simply flash standard software, then when the problem hasn't gone away put the CF firmware back. All the packages etc will be dormant without the CF in flash.

Have tried 20db attenuator. On info signal bars stay same but signal quality drops to 4 bars when I turn it down.
It sounds to me like you are mistakenly swapping signal level and quality. Quality should be 100%.

The only reliable monitor (the info bar only provides a snapshot) is to use Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection

Problem was random but doesn't seem so now. Of course weather is similar recently.
I thought if it is constantly writing to hdd as it is for pause live TV, then write errors would impact HD more than SD.

I thought if it is constantly writing to hdd as it is for pause live TV, then write errors would impact HD more than SD.
When a HDD accumulates sufficient faults that accesses are being constantly retried, thus can impose a significant overhead on the system and produce effects on the video output. You can discount this by running a disk check from the CF Telnet menu - see Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click). The CF is not your problem, and you can easily prove this as per post 6. What the CF will do is provide you diagnostic tools to help track down the problem, if the problem is not simply your incoming signal.

Do what I said in post 6: watch the Signal Detection screen for a few minutes on each channel (particularly the DVB-T2 channels), and see whether the signal quality is 100% all the time.

Bear in mind also that the HDMI signals from the HDR-FOX to the TV (or any active HDMI, come to that) can interfere with the incoming UHF TV signal. To eliminate this as the cause if your problem, disconnect HDMI and use the analogue video (SCART/RCA).

Back