Picture freezing

I am getting intermittent picture freezing but audio continues as normal.
Is the problem on all channels or specific channels? What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax on problematic channels (Freeview play button>Settings>Channel settings>Signal test)?

Is the problem on all channels or specific channels? What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax on problematic channels (Freeview play button>Settings>Channel settings>Signal test)?
It's all channel and signal strength and quality are 100 % but recordings seem not to be effected but when watching the recording I normally get an error message.

It's all channel and signal strength and quality are 100 % but recordings seem not to be effected but when watching the recording I normally get an error message.
If your signal strength is 100% then there is a good chance that it is too high. Do you have an amplifier in the aerial cabling? If so try temporarily bypassing it or reducing the gain. If not consider fitting a signal attenuator. I would aim for a signal strength of 80%.

I had 80% signal strength and had the problem which caused me to think this was the cause so I fitted an amp to boost it to 100% but no change so I don't think that is the cause!

It's the quality figure that matters. At 100%, the strength figure has maxed out so you have no idea whether it might actually be (for example) 200% and causing distortion in the input circuits. For that reason, you can't trust the "100%" figure as being accurate, so it is preferable to have it at 99% or below. You shouldn't have any problem even at 40%.

However, 100% quality indicates the signal is OK, even with 100% strength. Amplifiers are generally a bad idea for digital TV, unless used for distribution to multiple receivers or fitted at the mast head.

recordings seem not to be effected but when watching the recording I normally get an error message.
So why do you conclude recordings are not affected? ("Effected" doesn't mean what you intended)

Experience with HDR-FOX indicates stutters can occur, even with live TV, if there are problems with the HDD and/or file system so that retries are slugging the system.

Last edited:
I had 80% signal strength and had the problem which caused me to think this was the cause so I fitted an amp to boost it to 100%
This shows the absolute stupidity of manufacturers who calibrate things in percentages for quantities which cannot be so measured.

How would you expect to get audio if you were lacking signal? It all travels in the same transport stream.
The fact that it happens only to pictures points to something downstream of the tuner, demodulator and de-muxer.
But finding out what is almost impossible with these boxes.

It's the quality figure that matters. At 100%, the strength figure has maxed out so you have no idea whether it might actually be (for example) 200% and causing distortion in the input circuits. For that reason, you can't trust the "100%" figure as being accurate, so it is preferable to have it at 99% or below. You shouldn't have any problem even at 40%.

However, 100% quality indicates the signal is OK, even with 100% strength. Amplifiers are generally a bad idea for digital TV, unless used for distribution to multiple receivers or fitted at the mast head.

So why do you conclude recordings are not affected? ("Effected" doesn't mean what you intended)

Experience with HDR-FOX indicates stutters can occur, even with live TV, if there are problems with the HDD and/or file system so that retries are slugging the system.
Thank you for your help I will be moving in a couple of months to a place with very poor terrestrial TV so I will be switching to free sat. I will live with the problem until then.

Back