Picture Problem

rollsjohn

Started yesterday on my HDR-T2 box. Picture started flaring with colours (not pixelating) both from live broadcast and recorded content. Swapped HMDI cable and also tried on another TV. Any ideas or is it FUBAR?
ScrGrab.jpg

Presumably this affects old recordings that previously played OK?

What happens with a SCART connection?

Don't have a TV with SCART anymore. Happens with previous recordings as per image and on live. Doesn't happen on recordings via DLNA.

So it looks as if your HDMI output is failing. Unless DLNA is good enough for you, you have a spares donor machine.

When you say doesn't happen on recordings via DLNA do you mean when playing stuff from elsewhere via DLNA on this box, or accessing this box's recordings somewhere else via DLNA? Hopefully you mean the latter, since that fault looks like it ought to affect everything the HDR displays and would make the former something of a mystery.

Any problems with live TV? Both through the Humax and direct via aerial?
Does you have any other devices connected to TV
(Trying to isolate whether problem is in TV or Humax)

Already answered

Cleaning connectors with compressed air duster is one suggestion posted elsewhere (not humax related)

Swapped HMDI cable and also tried on another TV. Any ideas or is it FUBAR?
I think you've tried everything I could suggest. One possibility is that the TV's gamut setting is configured for "cinema"*, but testing with a different TV just about rules that out.

* Broadcast TV uses the full range of 0-255 for the values of red, green, and blue pixels, but DVDs have a restricted range of values so to get the best picture the TV has to expand the range to the full 0-255. If you then input broadcast video while using range expansion, the result is solarisation.

Have I got that the wrong way around then? Why do I get solarisation if I use the wrong settings?

I wrote:
So it looks as if your HDMI output is failing. Unless DLNA is good enough for you, you have a spares donor machine.
Or for < £25, as all OP's TVs are retro-challenged, a SCART-to-HDMI converter may be a worthwhile investment (not that I'm endorsing the supplier or any one of the listed devices). As usual, cheaper (<£7) here.

Last edited:
I did a fixdisk since there was a Disk realloc sector count of 149. This took about 20 hours and then diagnosed again with result Disk realloc sector count is: 161 (was 149) . I'm no expert on the telnet result so attached. Looks like disk dying. Connecting up to a TV found picture problem still exists. Found a telly with SCART so connected this and no problem with picture - suspect HDMI output. Then tried TV set to HDMI and no picture problem! HDMI lead had not been disconnected or reconnected during these tests. Is this a temporary reprieve or a fluke? As I'm writing this the picture's gone again after an hour without problem. Is there a fix or component to fix a failed HDMI?
On a different note why are there no later models from Humax that have a dedicated bunch of tallented private individuals producing custom firmware? It's so useful to be able to customise the box and to check things like HDD's. If I have to replace the Fox I'll certainly miss these facilities.
Thanks for help so far.

Attachments

• fixdisk_result.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 1
Connecting up to a TV found picture problem still exists.
That's a hardware problem, nothing to do with the file system or the HDD. If it really is the HDR-FOX that is the problem, and not the cable, TV, or TV settings (have you ruled that out?), the only non-hardware thing that might fix it is to reinstall the loader firmware.

There could be a hardware fix, in the form of checking and repairing any broken solder joints or PCB tracks between the SoC and the HDMI socket, but other than that it's a fault in the SoC and junk (a source of spare parts).

On a different note why are there no later models from Humax that have a dedicated bunch of tallented private individuals producing custom firmware? It's so useful to be able to customise the box and to check things like HDD's. If I have to replace the Fox I'll certainly miss these facilities.
Somewhere along the line Humax changed the format of the update files which, I believe, makes them more difficult to work out the hack. (As I understand it sombody needs to unpick the update file, find a way to insert something to allow other code to run and then package that up as a valid update file.) That, and the fact that the talented ones don't have 2000T/1800T or 5000T/4000T and haven't the time or the inclination to investigate them means that those of us with those boxes have to manage without CF. Some limited additional functionality is available for the 2000T/1800T using a combination of ftp and DLNA, and "Foxy" will work. The 5000T/4000T has been locked down even more and additional functionality is non-existant.

Back