Picture Quality/Breakup

The Tacolneston transmitter is reported to have engineering works at the moment. Maybe you should wait a week and see if it clears up.

A mains filter could be added to the amp and the Humax. Amps don't last forever, either.

Even aircraft at several thousand feet can have an effect on reception by creating multi-path distortion; that should affect all the muxes but DVB-T may be more tolerant than DVB-T2 (and should have been present generally, unless flight paths have changed or it is a combination effect).

The SLX2P is an aerial amplifier not a filter. The type of mains filter BH is on about goes in the mains supply to the TV, not the aerial. Here's one but that link comes as an example only, not a recommendation fro the Maplin one as they are obtainable cheaper elsewhere.

If it is necessary to put in an amp, It should go 'at the top' of the coax, as near to the aerial as possible. This will overcome any loss in the coax. If you put it at the bottom, your are amplifying the signal AND the noise introduced by the cable.
For comparison, what are the signal/quality readings from the non HD channels (multiplexes)?

Where's the aerial and what is the cable like between it and the T2 via whatever other gubbins?
Can you bypass the DA temporarily?

The aerial is on the roof, the wiring is within the walls, there are no other "gubbins"
What is the DA?
Think it's the Transmitter work that is causing the current problems
Just wish somebody would advise the best site to get Transmitter information, I've asked enough times

The aerial is on the roof, the wiring is within the walls
How old are they?
What is the DA?
The Distribution Amplifier you mentioned in post #20.
Think it's the Transmitter work that is causing the current problems
"Service interruptions" doesn't necessarily mean it's on reduced power.
Just wish somebody would advise the best site to get Transmitter information, I've asked enough times
Maybe nobody knows better.

How old are they?
10 years
The Distribution Amplifier you mentioned in post #20.
Can't bypass not enough lead
"Service interruptions" doesn't necessarily mean it's on reduced power.
But an earlier post inferred that this could be the problem
Maybe nobody knows better.
Perhaps then they should just say so to finish the post

In my amateurish way, the first steps I would take if I had a similar problem are:
First disconnect and reconnect all the aerial connections leading to your Humax box - check whether that made a difference.
Then I would wiggle the aerial leads around to see if that caused the picture to break up - if it did then I would replace the leads.
Then, I would connect the aerial directly to the Humax, without it going through any splitter in your living room or without the aerial being looped through anything else - to see if that improved things.

1 John, thanks, they were the first things I carried out, but thanks for suggesting all of these practical ideas, also note I have not got a splitter the aerial is directly into the Humax
2 Black Hole, thanks for the information re Transmitters
3 I will monitor Engineering work on the applicable Transmitter & see what reception is like when this finishes.

Last edited:
I have speculated it may be due to 4G mobile services starting up in your area. Also it could be due to something in your immediate proximity, such as a dimmer switch starting to fail or a microwave oven being used. Even a freezer could do it if the thermostat has started arcing.

I get a similar problem with intermittent picture lockups/dropouts due to trees on a neighbours property being in the signal path. Problem goes away in winter once the leaves drop off, or in summer if they have trimmed the trees. Trees in leaf are a good attenuator of TV signals.

One of the people I used to look after once asked me if there was some sort of legal order that could be taken
to make people trim their trees back for this reason (or even cut them down)
I never did find the answer. (He lost all freeview reception in summer months and I had to replace
his HDR with sky in the end - obviously a very expensive change for him)

Back