Pinned Threads

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
In the HDR-FOX T2 forum, we now have seven "pinned" threads at the top of the forum.
This means having to scroll past these every time you want to access new posts in the forum.

I have created a new sub forum at the top of the main forum, and moved the pinned threads into it.

What are the members thoughts on this? The sub forum title can be changed if required.

IMO it defeats the object. Yes, OK, having lots of pinned topics also defeats the object (but I don't access new posts that way so it's no bother for me that they have to be scrolled past). We need these things to be up in lights so the newbies can hardly avoid them. They don't go looking for anything, a key work has to jump out at them so they think "oh, that's what I was going to ask about". Now those key words are hidden behind a "pinned threads" link, which they will not click on.

I don't know what the answer is though.

Honestly, I really do apologise that it always seems to be me willing to put in the time and effort to organising and maintaining the reference material. It helps that I have experience in technical publishing. Maybe I should have a different forum identity (or just anonymous) for reference works as opposed to opinion and chat.

I think moving the pinned threads makes them too invisible to the infrequent/new visitor to the forums.
Perhaps have a single "Read me first" pinned thread at the top of the main forum with links to the other pinned threads and other advice

All suggestions are welcome, and changes can be easily reversed if required.

In the HDR-FOX T2 forum, we now have seven "pinned" threads at the top of the forum.
This means having to scroll past these every time you want to access new posts in the forum.

I have created a new sub forum at the top of the main forum, and moved the pinned threads into it.
How about doing the same for the 5 pinned threads in :-
HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware
And the 4 pinned threads in :-
HD-FOX T2 Freeview Receiver
etc.

How about doing the same for the 5 pinned threads in :-
HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware
And the 4 pinned threads in :-
HD-FOX T2 Freeview Receiver
etc.
I would like to do that, but thought it would be better to get members reactions by just doing one forum first.

What pinned threads? I hardly ever use anything other than the New Posts button.
I do the same but but we are talking about material aimed at new users here who will hopefully poke about a bit before posting. I support the idea of a single pinned thread pointing at other significant threads.

I do the same but but we are talking about material aimed at new users here who will hopefully poke about a bit before posting. I support the idea of a single pinned thread pointing at other significant threads.
'Hopefully' :rolleyes:

I find the current format ok, a useful reminder before asking a question. As with all technical products owned for a while, it pays to consult the manual from time to time for a refresher.

Last edited:
I think that having separate pinned threads for each topic in the relevant forums gives them better visibility to new users without getting in the way of experienced users who a mostly use New Posts.

Back