Pixellated playback on HDR 1Tb

malw77

Hi! I've only had my machine a week but have noticed that there seems to be some pixellation on playback of recorded programmes. It happens when there is fast movement on the screen, and I'm not sure if it's the Hummy or the tv, a three month old LG HD 42". However, I don't notice anything like this on recordings made by my Topfield 5800, and never have done. The programmes are all SD, not HD, as we haven't yet switched to digital. The latest firmware was already installed on purchase.

I searched the forums but couldn't find a related thread, so wondered if anyone is having the same problem, and is there an solution? Thanks!

Mal

First you need to decide if it is something in the recording or something happening on playback. Does the pixellation happen exactly in the same place each time, if you wind back a few seconds and play it again?

What output format are you using (V-format button on the remote)? Are you connecting via HDMI or SCART and what is the model number of the LG TV?

What output format are you using (V-format button on the remote)? Are you connecting via HDMI or SCART and what is the model number of the LG TV?

Hi! Output is 1080p, and my Hummy is connected via HDMI cable. TV is an LG42LW65 full HD 3D LCD. The pixellation happens when there is any sort of fast movement on the screen, it's very fleeting, just a bit blurry. Not noticed this when just watching TV or when watching recordings on my Toppy, but I realise that the Toppy is only 576i, so could the output be the problem? Should I try 1080i?

Yes, but is it repeatable?

Sorry, I don't know, I deleted the recording I watched last night before I could check that out. I'll do some more recording over the weekend to see if it happens again, and if it repeats each time I play it.

Thanks for your help! :)

Looks like you may have the same problem as me, and as this guy

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1536539-humax-hdr-fox-t2-skipping-during-playback.html

I also get frrezing during playback - blank screen for 1 minute, but when it restarts I can rewind and all recording is there - only happens whilst viewing playback and recording simultaneously. I've not the energy to check if the pixellation/skip on the recordings coincides with the freezing during playback, but I sispect it will EDIT - Not necessarily it seems. I was watching a recording in "chase play" yesterday, about 10 mins behind "real time", no other recording taking place, and I got a scrambled skip on the playback. I also get freezing of menu selections on the Humax if, say, navigating "Media" whilst a recording is in progress. Also on a 1TB T2. I'm going to try the HDD reformat suggested in the linked thread first and see if that clear it. If not, or it re-occurs it'll be back to the supplier (thankfully not Humax direct, but a retailer with a reputation to lose!)

Sorry, I don't know, I deleted the recording I watched last night before I could check that out. I'll do some more recording over the weekend to see if it happens again, and if it repeats each time I play it.

Hi, back again. I watched more recordings over the weekend, and found some video stuttering issues, rather than pixellating. The video playback sort of jerks a bit, for milliseconds only, and then continues normally. It happened a couple of times during a half hour recording, and it did repeat when I played it back. It's not a big deal but as I've only got a few recordings on the 1Tb drive, and the machine is only a couple of weeks old, it's a bit worrying in case it gets worse. I'll be keeping a check on it and may try the disk re-format suggestion if it continues to happen.

I have reason to believe some transmitters have been reducing power since the end of january - I also
suspect interference from non-TV sources may be occuring but that isnt confirmed as yet.
This could cause these types of issues nationwide (especially in built up areas).
The issue may not be the machine itself as such.

I have reason to believe some transmitters have been reducing power since the end of january - I also
suspect interference from non-TV sources may be occuring but that isnt confirmed as yet.
This could cause these types of issues nationwide (especially in built up areas).
The issue may not be the machine itself as such.

The skipping of time on playback of a recording isn't due to signal strength reduction - to be clear there is no pause in the playback, just a jumbled sequence of maybe 1 second, and the playback continues, but 1-2 minutes further on in the programme. Likewise the freezing/blacking out of playback is not caused by outside interference - nothing has changed local to my Humax in the period I've owned it, but the fault has developed, and certainly (as the whole recording is there and will play immediatley after a rewind) has nothing to do with signal strength. It's not just the simple momentatry pixellation that sometimes occurs on weaker signals. And the faults I'm having are across BBC1, BBC2, Ch4, BBC4, BBC HD, Ch4 HD. I seriously doubt any significant signal strength reduction across the board from the Oxford transmitter.

Back