Plans for new drive purchased as spare

surefire

Just received a new Seagate 2Tb drive and would like to prepare it for use. I have a spare Humax box with a 500Mb drive and will put it in there to get it formatted. Can I then use it to copy files from my original box via a sata to usb caddy as a back up and when necessary fit it straight in my original box. I guess what I'm asking is after its been formatted in the spare box can it be used via usb to backup my original box and then slotted in the original when and if it's drive pops it's cloggs? Or will it not be happy in the original if it's been formatted in another box.

Hope that's not too confusing.

You can format it in anything - even a Linux PC.
Yes to all your questions.
Possessive "its" has no apostrophe.

Just received a new Seagate 2Tb drive and would like to prepare it for use. I have a spare Humax box with a 500Mb drive and will put it in there to get it formatted. Can I then use it to copy files from my original box via a sata to usb caddy as a back up and when necessary fit it straight in my original box. I guess what I'm asking is after its been formatted in the spare box can it be used via usb to backup my original box and then slotted in the original when and if it's drive pops it's cloggs? Or will it not be happy in the original if it's been formatted in another box.

Hope that's not too confusing.
So long as you are aware of all the caveats. Take a read of Things Every... (click), particularly sections 5 and 12.

Not even in this one prpr?
...asking is after its been formatted in the spare box can....
The 'its' in the above quote is an abbreviation of 'it has', so should have an apostrophe.:roflmao:

@surefire Please excuse our bickering at your expense. We have a long thread on the use of the English language for pedants, so this discussion should really have been raised there, not here.

Doesn't really apply in this case as the disk was stated to be used in the original machine.
Yes, that's what I thought at first sight, but the narrative is a bit muddled and you never know what the OP might think he can do (as per another recent post)!

Back