Playback from NAS drive

gat

I have a Synology NAS drive connected to my Humax via router. My humax can play various movies from my drive, which have been downloaded from internet. However, i recently copied recordings from my humax hdd to my nas drive to free up space but the humax will not play these until i copy them back to the humax - i get "cannot support this file format". How come it works ok if i copy the files back to the humax but not direct from nas?
Also, i can't copy files between the two using the humax, i have to use my pc. From what i remember, i could do all this when using a usb stick so why not with a nas?

If you are using the HDR-FOX without installing the custom firmware, you must be accessing the NAS as a media server by DLNA (that's what Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network does). a: This is a one-way connection; b: you are constrained by the file formats supported by the NAS as a media server and by the formats the Humax DLNA client can accept. If the recordings you transferred to the NAS were HiDef, there is also a good possibility they are encrypted. If you transferred them by FTP, they are definitely encrypted (HiDef or StDef).

By installing the custom firmware, you will be able to access the NAS as proper network storage and it will appear to the HDR-FOX as if it were USB-connected storage. Anything on it will play just as it would from hard disk or USB.

For more info about encryption see Things Every... (click) section 5.

For info about custom firmware see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

Thanks. The problem i described is with the custom firmware installed. What am i doing wrong?

I've installed the package (no errors) but i don't seem to see the special directory on my HDR. Is there something else i need to do first? I think this will solve all my problems if i can get the package installed and working.

This topic has now been moved to the Custom Firmware section of the forum.

Last edited:
I've installed the package (no errors) but i don't seem to see the special directory on my HDR. Is there something else i need to do first? I think this will solve all my problems if i can get the package installed and working.
It shouldn't be necessary, but have you rebooted? By reboot, we don't mean putting it into standby for a moment and then restarting, because that doesn't restart the software - as indicated by the lack of the Humax splash screen on the TV. Either: WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Reboot System; type "reboot" on the command line; put into standby and wait until the unit powers down (the HDD stops spinning, USB power goes off, Ethernet port lights go out); or turn it off and on again with the rear power switch.

If that doesn't create a [ModSettings] folder, force reinstallation of the package.

It shouldn't be necessary, but have you rebooted?
It's not if you are just installing network-shares-automount. If it's dragging in cifs as a dependency then it is necessary.
If that doesn't create a [ModSettings] folder, force reinstallation of the package.
The package installation creates that, so it's difficult to know how it couldn't get done.

Last edited:
Maybe we need to do some diagnosis of his system. Not much to go on at the moment (as usual).

How come it works ok if i copy the files back to the humax but not direct from nas?
It's in the various replies above but - most likely because they are encrypted and you are trying to access them from your NAS using DLNA.
There isn't enough information in your posts so far to be sure though.
Can you start by answering Black Hole's questions?

Are you routinely decrypting recordings...?

Do you have the NAS mounted as a USB drive...?

For the second one, can you describe exactly how you access the recordings while they're on your NAS?

The custom firmware can definitely help you with this problem but we need to know where you're starting from first.

Last edited:
The answers to your questions are:
- No i am not routinely decrypting recordings
- No i do not have my nas mounted as a usb drive - see below
- To playback my recordings i go to storage (blue) on the Humax and select Network.
I browse to my nas folder with the recordings in and press ok. After several seconds of "processing" i get the error.

I am now try to mount the nas as a usb drive. However, after installing and reinstalling the network-shares-automount package with no errors and after rebooting, i still do not see the [ModSettings] directory, only the [Deleted Items] directory.
Also another issue i have is that after installing any package the Humax loses the network connection and i have to reboot - is this normal?

Also another issue i have is that after installing any package the Humax loses the network connection and i have to reboot - is this normal?
No it's not. That is why your packages aren't installing properly. You need to fix that before doing anything else.
See this thread.
Command line means "use Telnet".

Yes, post #12 fixed it. I now have a [Shares] folder mapped to my NAS drive and can play pvr recordings on my nas drive.

Back