playing HB-1000S usb recordings on HDR-1100S

JW1955

I have a HB-1000S with a USB hard drive connected and a HDR-1100S. How can I play recordings made on the HB-1000 USB drive on my HDR-1100. If I plug the USB Drive into the 1100S I can see the drive but none of the recordings show up. Can't even share them over the network.

I don't recall anything about this appearing on the forum before, so you might well be the pioneer. This forum is all about people discovering things and sharing the information. Use a PC to look at the structure of the data on the HB-1000S recordings compared with the HDR-1100S recordings - that might tell you something.

short of removing the hard drive from the 1100s, I'm not sure how I could do that. It's not as if I could ssh or rlogin to it.

I have a HB-1000S with a USB hard drive connected and a HDR-1100S. How can I play recordings made on the HB-1000 USB drive on my HDR-1100. If I plug the USB Drive into the 1100S I can see the drive but none of the recordings show up. Can't even share them over the network.
Your problem is due to all the HB-1000S's recordings being encrypted by a unique encryption key for the particular HB-1000S that they were recorded on.

I've never heard of any one getting around the encryption of a HB-1000S, despite questions being asked which would have been positively answered if there was a a decryption solution

Your problem is due to all the HB-1000S's recordings being encrypted by a unique encryption key for the particular HB-1000S that they were recorded on.
That's what I thought, too, but why can't the 1100S "see" them (regardless of playing them)?

What a short sighted thing to do. I understand the issues around copyright etc but anyone that determined to pirate something will simply transfer it over HDMI to another recorder. At least make the encryption readable across Humax devices. So frustrating!!!

will simply transfer it over HDMI to another recorder
That's not so simple as you might think, at least not for HiDef – see HDCP.

With regard to encryption in general, the content providers licence the use of the EPG compression scheme in return for assurances their intellectual property will be protected. Historically it has been possible to export StDef recordings from units with built-in HDDs, but the HD-FOX (which only functions as a recorder when you add an external drive) has no such decrypted output. The HDR-FOX exports HiDef in encrypted form so it will only play on the same recorder.

However, it's possible you're not seeing the files because the whole file system is encrypted rather than individual files.

Last edited:
Back