Playing programmes on one box through another over network

I'm now reluctant to go into my loft. The last time I went up there I struggled to get back down again. Not sure why as I managed to go up and down the ladder when fitting and positioning a loft aerial. As for junk up there - some needs removing and binning. There is wood up there left by my father. Very useful in place of floor boards if nothing else.

Back on topic:
I can manage to play StdDef from a 2000T on a 5000T and vice versa. HiDef I shall have to look into. 2000T as source might work. 5000T as source - next to no chance. Trick playing works - sort of. Bookmarks :roflmao:. I don't think the newer Humaxes understand the concept of bookmarks.

But when I used the B box to look at Network it only saw the media server built in to the router, not the A box.

I'm guessing I may need to set something in the router to allow it to pass this type of service through
Not necessarily. "Discovery" can take some time, but once discovered there's no problem after that.

No such difficulty with NSA, give it a whirl.

DLNA uses UPnP, which may be disabled in the router.
Sorry, I missed that hiding at the top of the page.

I've had a look through and the only setting I've found (so far) is Transmit status information over UPnP which is already ticked.

EDIT: Had a trawl of the manual and that setting appears to be to allow the router's own media server to be UPnP. There's nothing about it in any other context.

Last edited:
Have you actually tried decryption? It doesn't take long.
She has nearly a TB of programmes and not a lot of space (though the new disc will solve that).
But this stuff all needs to work without me around, so I don't really want to involve more processes than necessary. If it was for me then it would be fine.

Not necessarily. "Discovery" can take some time, but once discovered there's no problem after that.
Ah. I had another go tonight and waited for several minutes and it did eventually find it. (Found my daughter's PC in a matter of seconds which seemed odd - it wouldn't connect to it.)

I tried playing a programme and it was pretty bad - stuttering and freezing, loss of sound. Worst case scenario though with both boxes on the WiFi and sharing the bandwidth, so might be OK once one is wired.

so might be OK once one is wired.
It will be.

this stuff all needs to work without me around
It will, your doubts are simply because you haven't tried it yourself. You can get away without decrypting the "full" HDR, just decrypt the less-full HDR and then change its decryption key to match the full HDR. The experience of file-share playback (whether Foxlink or NSA) is much better than native DLNA - decrypt just one file and see.

Decrypting doesn't need to use a lot of extra space, you can turn off the creation of backup copies in the settings menu while you do mass decryption

But as BH pointed out you only need a single decrypted file initially to test the principles out

Ah. Just been reading the NSA intro.
There are a couple of potentially awkward and likely gotchas, so I think I'll just go with the DLNA for now and see how she gets on with that.
Good enough is good enough :)

Like what?
This section on the first page of the 'help' at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/

The downsides that this package attempts to address are:

Fiddly to set up, requiring running "mount" commands at the telnet prompt, and /or setting up startup scripts to mount the shared folder.
If using startup script, need to reboot the humax if the remote host wasn't switched on at boot time.
If the remote host is switched off / goes to sleep, the humax cam become unresponsive.

Though now I read that heading again I'm not so sure what it actually means. Is it compared to raw DLNA rather than a downside of the NSA package? It followed from the section above that says:

The advantages to this, over using DLNA are:

The downsides that this package attempts to address
I'd say it addresses those downsides pretty well. Once set up, so long as your HDRs are on fixed IP addresses, it's set up. External network storage gets mounted and unmounted from the Storage >> USB list whenever it is detected on the network (or not detected). It all "just works". You need to just try it.

Getting there in baby steps.
(New disk in 'source' box and files copied over.)
Wired connection to bedroom for 'source' box done.
Network switch installed so 'playback' box is also wired.
Tested Content Share (with source box currently still downstairs and plugged into switch above).

It works but is rather clunky. In particular the sort order seems to be random - it's none of the three normal Humax choices - which is frustrating, especially since the two parts of (eg) C5 films can be pages apart.
So it looks like nsa may indeed be needed if it will fix that problem at least. If it can give a more 'local' experience in general, as suggested earlier, that'll be good too.

First I need to decrypt the playback box and change its key.

I told you DLNA left much to be desired. NSA makes stuff look like it's local, and playback etc works just the same as if it were local.

If you follow my thread here (click), you can make everything (on or off the box) accessible via Media >> Storage >> USB (saving having to switch between HDD and USB), and the unit will continue to default to the USB menu until it is rebooted. I need to write up the details - I'll do that later today if I remember.

I know this is CFW stuff, but seems sensible to keep it together.

Currently decrypting in prep for nsa. I did a couple of films individually then found the queue function :)
But I notice that the ones being done via the queue get a green Dec flag, but the ones I did individually haven't. How can one tell if an unflagged one is actually decrypted? (The OPT+ menu for each still allows Decrypt - it's greyed out on the ones with a flag.)

Back