Playing video files from a network location (and weird stretching)

LogicHummy

I have come from a background of Windows Media Centre/Media portal, but was now looking for a more reliable unit for recording TV so went for a Humax HDR T2. Everything looks great, but on the above other solutions I could very quickly/easily view video files from my windows server share \\server\vids with a single click and my video files appered and could be played, seeked, resumed etc.

With the HDR T2 it seems a little 'long winded' to do this:

- Click 'Media', select the DLNA machine, click 'videos', click 'folders', click 'My Videos' and then the folder list displays.

1. Is there some kind of 'shortcut' or 'default folder' so I could simply click 'videos' and my folder list displays?

2. When viewing the videos (1920x800 for example) the video is vertically stretched and the horizontal black bars are missing. A quick peek through the forums shows a hack to get round this (setting the video preferences to 4:3 and then clicking the 'wide' button) which works fine but then has to be changed to watch TV again, but is there really no other way it can simply play without the faffing about?

I have installed the latest custom firmware but wondered if I could use SMB to quickly point to a share.

Thanks

When viewing the videos (1920x800 for example) the video is vertically stretched and the horizontal black bars are missing. A quick peek through the forums shows a hack to get round this (setting the video preferences to 4:3 and then clicking the 'wide' button) which works fine but then has to be changed to watch TV again, but is there really no other way it can simply play without the faffing about?
No. The only other way to deal with it is to remaster the file to include the black bars in the actual image frame. See Things Every... (click) section 16, see also HERE (click).
I have installed the latest custom firmware but wondered if I could use SMB to quickly point to a share.
Yes, the share will appear in the Media >> USB list (as a virtual USB device). See HERE (click).

Back