Playing video files stored on a ReadyNas via ethernet

Finn

Is it possible to connect a Humax Foxsat HDR to my readynas so I can playback video files stored on the latter on my tv?

I currently use a western digital (wd tv live) box to achieve this, but it would be great if I could cut this box out of the loop and use the one humax box to do everything.

If it is poss, can someone point me to a guide? I've done a lot of Googling but to no avail.

Many thanks.

I don't think the current firmware will let you do this.
I'm very new to this new firmware but as far as I know there is no 'smbmount' to get you to external SMB shares
and there does not appear to be any way to mount an external NFS share ('mount' command has no NFS options)
It seems that this firmware can make the foxSat a file server but not client.

I hope I'm wrong as I would like to do the same as you - I have several years of Freeview recordings on NFS storage that
I currently use an Acer Revo for playback and would rather do all via the foxsat.

I don't have a Foxsat so can't try this myself.

If you type 'cat /proc/filesystems' on the FoxSat, is nfs or cifs listed?

The foxsat won't play back any external video unless

It's a mpeg2 or H264 transport stream file and it's accompanied by two sidecar support files .nts and .hmt.

AV2HDR will build the sidecar files and a compatible .ts from suitable source content.

I don't have a Foxsat so can't try this myself.

If you type 'cat /proc/filesystems' on the FoxSat, is nfs or cifs listed?

Foxsat-HDR~# cat /proc/filesystems
nodev sysfs
nodev rootfs
nodev bdev
nodev proc
nodev sockfs
nodev usbfs
nodev pipefs
nodev futexfs
nodev tmpfs
nodev eventpollfs
nodev devpts
ext3
ext2
squashfs
nodev ramfs
msdos
vfat
ntfs
nodev jffs2
nodev mqueue
Foxsat-HDR~#

As I suspected...

Hi,

I've got this working using with my NAS and samba to mount a fs on the humax you can use:-

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.55/Music -o lfs,user=myuser,pass=mypasswd/media/Music/_Iomega >>$LOG 2>&1

You'll need to load the cifs.ko first, let me know if you need any more details.

-Andy

Hi,

I've got this working using with my NAS and samba to mount a fs on the humax you can use:-

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.55/Music -o lfs,user=myuser,pass=mypasswd/media/Music/_Iomega >>$LOG 2>&1

You'll need to load the cifs.ko first, let me know if you need any more details.

-Andy

Hi Andy
I did get that far - in /opt/etc/init.d/samba.sh I have:
insmod /opt/lib/cifs.ko
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.1/Foxsat /mnt/hd3/Video -o user=smbuser,pass=smbpass

And that gives me :
Foxsat-HDR/opt/etc/init.d# df -h /mnt/hd3/Video
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
//192.168.0.1/Foxsat 2.7T 2.2T 448.6G 84% /mnt/hd3/Video

But neither playback or record works with this setup, probably a permissions issue. I didn't debug it, perhaps I should try harder.

I'm guessing its down to the ancient version of samba in the hummy so if you try to mount the hummy on the server (Debian 6.02)
even though the mount succeeds you get permission denied when reading any file. This is a known limitation of samba 2.0 vs anything later.

samba 2.0.10 is from 2004......

I'm leaning towards using MythTV as a recorder as it records everything (inc HD) as straight .mpg and I already
have two satellite feeds into my server cupboard.

ttfn

Back