please help hdr newbie

purplechris

hey

ive installed the custom fireware, web front end, ffmpeg, virtual drive, auto unprotect etc.

there doesnt seem to be a real step by step guide. ive recorded something, copied to virtual drive, downloaded with the web interface a .ts file that literally does nothing in vnc player

how do i download my recordings so they will play?

ive tried converting .ts files in ffmpeg on my system and it says no video or audio in the file so cannot do anything.

please help at the momemt i just have a nice web interface and nothing else.

that looks like good reading i didnt see that i will start there cheers for the fast reply ive been going out of my mind for hours lol

To get you started:
(This assumes that auto unprotect is running and has had time to work its way through the files on your Humax - which could be an overnight job. You should also ensure that the Content Share option is turned ON in the Humax's settings menu.)
- In the web interface, select Browse Media Files.
- Navigate to the file you want and click the Opt+ button at the end of its row.
- Select Download on the menu that opens.
- In the save dialogue, choose a location on your PC's disk - you may also want to change the cryptic filename to something recognisable.
- Wait until the download is complete.

The resulting file will play in Splash Player Lite, but may not play satisfactorily in many other players. Every Humax user should have Splash Player. The other accompanying files that are downloaded by this method can be discarded.

Second possibility:
(This requires the Firefox browser and the VLC Mozilla plugin which can be optionally installed when you install VLC)
- In the web interface, select Browse Media Files.
- Navigate to the file you want and click the file.
- In the Media Details panel that opens, click Play.

The file should open on your PC in Firefox. Note: this is not a fully-developed function, but it works for me.

There are SO many other ways to do this, but these are two of the simplest.

basically what im trying to achieve is the download, converstion and storage of the files on my nas servers so i can then watch them on my xbmc setup

NAS servers, conversions, and XBMC? That's three more cans of worms... Keep reading - you're here for a while.:)

As far as I know XBMC will not play HiDef at all, and if you record in StDef you can play them from XBMC directly across the network using the server functions in the HDR-FOX - no custom software required.

However, if you do wish to store recordings off the Humax on a NAS, the easiest way will be to load CIFS onto the Humax (or use auto mount) so that the NAS drive becomes visible to the Humax as a USB device (you need a real USB device plugged in as well to kid the Humax into looking). Once you have that, you can copy content across to the NAS using the Humax remote control, and it will be decrypted in the process (as long as it's StDef). For HiDef you will need auto-unprotect to make it decryptable first.

As far as I know XBMC will not play HiDef at all, and if you record in StDef you can play them from XBMC directly across the network using the server functions in the HDR-FOX - no custom software required.

However, if you do wish to store recordings off the Humax on a NAS, the easiest way will be to load CIFS onto the Humax (or use auto mount) so that the NAS drive becomes visible to the Humax as a USB device (you need a real USB device plugged in as well to kid the Humax into looking). Once you have that, you can copy content across to the NAS using the Humax remote control, and it will be decrypted in the process (as long as it's StDef). For HiDef you will need auto-unprotect to make it decryptable first.

thats cool, ive installed a few things but dont see any config info in the web interface, how would i setup cifs once its installed.

xbmc will play anything well if you have patience. apple tv 1 running a crystal hd decoder in its wifi port running custom crystalbuntu os plays 1080p like a dream and fast as hell compared to xbmc running on a standard atv1, xbmc i know a lot about so any questions feel free to ask

Look in the Index for networking info topics (linked through from NEW READERS START...).

Subtitles will be a setting in XBMC.

exports are now perfect and automatically removing the tag so i dont need to use foxy. just trying to figure out cifs now which is proving fun

ok all done and mounted cifs, one final question

To automatically create a mapping when the hummy boots, create a text file called something like S99mountme in /mod/etc/init.d containing the mount command and then chmod 755 the file to make it executable.

how do i access this file normally i would use cyberduck and sftp in to the file and edit it but the humax doesnt seem to want to allow that

I don't know much about that stuff, but the network-shares-automount package (topic HERE - click) is designed to do that sort of thing and cope with the consequences of the NAS being off-line at the time.

As for manipulating files in the Humax file system, just telnet in and do it all locally.

ok all done and mounted cifs, one final question

To automatically create a mapping when the hummy boots, create a text file called something like S99mountme in /mod/etc/init.d containing the mount command and then chmod 755 the file to make it executable.

how do i access this file normally i would use cyberduck and sftp in to the file and edit it but the humax doesnt seem to want to allow that

Install the dropbear and greenend-sftp packages and cyberduck will be able to connect. Username is root and Password is humax.

Back