Plex Media Player for the Humax

Not tried XBMC. It is a bug in android KitKat. In making this version compatible with older, low spec devices they have knobbled playback of HD video on the higher spec tablets that could handle HD video with Jellybean. A Finnish company published a study highlighting this and embarrassing Google: but not enough to fix it yet. Here's hoping...
Sorry mods, I've gone into an off-topic rant. Will stop now!

Just to update plex accessing my humax via samba working a treat, auto decrypt in place and everything happy together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to but in here, but what app are you using to play Humax DLNA streams on your iPad? I've tried many apps but they couldn't play the file type properly.

Personally I use nPlayer, although VLC for iPad works equally well.

You may encounter difficulties playing HD material on anything other than an IPad Air. Prior to having one I had an iPad 3, which couldn't play HD without stuttering badly (although SD was OK), I think it simply didn't have the horsepower, where as the latest iPad does.

Hi

I had the same experience playing on ipad, hd would stutter on ipad 2 not sure about later versions but believe apple restrict the hardware rendering to 'approved' specific formats.

I used a trick, I have auto decrypt setup for all recordings and then also have samba enabled, then on my pc at home running plex server (free) I connect the samba share to my library as a new source called Humax.

Plex transcodes on the fly and it works a treat - I believe its the audio container the ipad doesn't like as the load on my pc is really minimal.

I then run plex on the ipad which cost a few pounds but was cheap and plays everything :) and fast forward works :)

Plex also has a dlna client which I've used to access the humax content on my sony tv which would only play hd not sd content direct from the humax!

I actually then went the whole hog and purchased a lifetime subscription to plex, to support them - its not required but adds another cool feature where you can sync content down to your ipad for offline use :) and also if you set it up access it over the internet but that's all on the plex site :)

I have been tempted to get a roku/nowtv box and sideload plex for the additional tv's in the house as the plex client is much nicer than the dlna interface for a big library ~ markets just moving so much I can't decide which :)

Regards

Damian

Back