Poor management of USB storage

I'm on Windows 7 and it appears to be different.
If I click on the device you name, it only offers me "open in Media Player" but now I know the general principle I shall explore.
My understanding is that the method I described will only work on Windows 8 or later. Does anybody know what it is that Windows 8 onwards is doing that is enabling this functionality; if we understood that it might be possible to develop something that would make the functionality available on other operating systems.

A work-around in Win7 is to use VLC's Network option.
Using VLC 3.0.11 I can easily access the Humax DLNA server and play recordings using Local Network>Universal Plug 'n' Play. That appears to have an option to save the output to file but I haven't managed to make it work. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable could have a crack at it?

My guess is that Win8+ is using DLNA. A work-around in Win7 is to use VLC's Network option.

I found another thread (lost it now) which offered a way to copy files even though they are only presented in Windows Media Player for playing.

1) select the required 'ts' file
2) right click and select properties
3) copy what is in the Location position (e.g. "h t t p ://192.168.1.169:9000/web/pvr/HCONTENT:27.ts?WMContentFeatures=DLNA.ORG_PN...")
( excuse this but the forum wouldn't accept it as it was, thought it was an external link...)
4) Paste it into the URL line of a web browser (original poster suggested Chrome but I used Mozilla Firefox)
5) Web Browser offers to "save file as"

Takes a couple of minutes to transfer, I guess depnding on how fast your home network connection is but it works.
It's a but clunky because the file save seems to generate an arbitrary filename but it works and teh file is perfectly playable with the programs I have tried.

regards
PhilipJ

3) copy what is in the Location position (e.g. "h t t p ://192.168.1.169:9000/web/pvr/HCONTENT:27.ts?WMContentFeatures=DLNA.ORG_PN...")
( excuse this but the forum wouldn't accept it as it was, thought it was an external link...)
Use [plain]http://192.168.1.169:9000/web/pvr/HCONTENT:27.ts[/plain] and it should appear normally http://192.168.1.169:9000/web/pvr/HCONTENT:27.ts.

If you find the original thread please post a link - it might be an easier than the method I use.

Last edited:
Back