Poorly STB

Ok it's finished the disk check with no errors, I've restarted it out of maintenance mode and the remote doesn't work and touching silver buttons causes a crash to countdown. When it reboots, the behaviour is repeated.

Are you on the latest custom firmware? If so there is a reset file available that should uninstall all your packages so you can start over.

Yes I am, I've used the reset file I think. It was the first thing I did when it started messing about. I'd like to put it back to factory defaults I think just to see if that makes any difference. Is there a file to do this?

Just flash it with a standard firmware download and disconnect the hard drive. If it still misbehaves after that you have a hardware fault.

Ok I finally got around to disconnecting the hard disk and the box has been working fine for over an hour now. Obviously it's not as warm to the touch as when the disk is working but so far so good. Any advice on next steps, replacement hard drives etc..

Ok, tested over a couple of days and works fine with Hard disk disconnected. Reconnected and went to format with the built in formatting utility and I get the error:- Cannot format the hard disk. Capacity is too large.

Edit

Switched off and on and the box is now formatting the hard disk.

All formatted and fingers crossed, it has been working perfectly for several hours. It would seem that as unlikely as it sounds, formatting the hard disk has some bearing on the operation of the firmware?

Thanks to anyone who suggested things to try :)

It was just that the HDD had got itself into a state that the firmware couldn't handle. You might say this is inadequate programming, but "adequate" programming would involve the software engineers anticipating every possible fault condition and ensuring it had been catered for in the code - almost impossible, and very expensive.

Hi again, the problem has returned. After a weeks use, the same problem is back. I'm not quite sure when it happened but came to use it on Sunday after not using it for a couple of days.

Unfortunately not under warranty. I bought it from Humax Direct. It was a grade A and came with a 1 year warranty

I'd replace the HDD if I could be sure that was definitely the problem. Don't want to throw good money after bad. Having said that, is there a list of recommended replacement drives which are known to work without issues..

Having said that, is there a list of recommended replacement drives which are known to work without issues..
1 TB http://www.ebuyer.com/337318-seagate-1tb-pipeline-internal-hard-drive-st1000vm002 or 2TB http://www.ebuyer.com/414223-seagate-2tb-pipeline-internal-hard-drive-st2000vm003 (I have the 2TB model and it has given no problems in its first year of service and currently has zero reallocated sectors). Version 1.03.xx is needed to format a 2TB drive using the Humax software otherwise you follow the procedure in the af123 blog linked to above.

Back