Portable DVD drive in a usb port HDR Fox T2

Hi all,

My DVD player is on it's last legs. I have a portable DVD drive which can plug into a usb port and so I just wondered whether it is possible to view / play DVD discs via the humax in this way? It would be in a sense like an external HDD but can the humax handle reading the VOB files etc. I not sure if it could do the normal DVD menus but that's for another thread!

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Rodp

If the vob's aren't encrypted there is loads of ways to combine them into a single file most anything can play. TSmuxer GUI can join these files into a single transport stream container.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I have a portable DVD drive which can plug into a usb port and so I just wondered whether it is possible to view / play DVD discs via the humax in this way?
No. The HDR-FOX's OS does not include drivers for an optical drive, and neither is the method of packaging video onto a DVD for conventional playback compatible with the HDR-FOX's media player.

You would have to use software on a PC to rip the DVD and convert to a compatible format (such as .mp4, with suitable codecs for audio and video). You would then be able to play the resulting file from a USB-connected drive, across the network from a NAS or DLNA server, or by copying it onto the internal HDD.

DVD players are cheap, buy a new one. Better still: buy a Blu-ray player.

DVD players are cheap, buy a new one. Better still: buy a Blu-ray player.
Be quick if you want a DVD player from John Lewis. Once the current stock has gone, that's it. Blu-rays still available.
Just a thought - does anyone actually buy Blu-ray disks? Anything I want is on DVD and not always on Blu-ray.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
does anyone actually buy Blu-ray disks?
I am in no hurry to see a new movie, so am happy to wait a year or so, and if it shows no sign of turning up on free TV, buying the Blu-ray (rather than lo-def DVD) is more economical than a night out for two at the cinema (with free and unlimited repeats). Of course, I do have my Qumi projecting to an 80" screen...