Portal problems (prob me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoe3

Hello :)
Firstly, great forum tons of info.
My problem is that the box is having trouble connecting to portal.As far as i can see i have the box connected to the network (says its connected). It's recognized in the router menu. Every time i try to connect to the portal, a message pops up on screen saying " application error occurred" , from that point on the remote becomes inoperable. I have tried using dchp (this option is enabled on the router) the same result occurs . Any help or thoughts would be appreciated
many thanks

Yes, we know all about this.

First question: do you have an aerial plugged into the Humax? Sounds silly, but the Humax gets its system time from the broadcast data, and if the system doesn't know what time it is the link to the TV Portal fails. See Things Every... (click) section 6.

If the first post in the topic HERE (click) accurately states your symptoms (I take it you have not quoted the error message you got exactly), then see post 6 for a solution.

Do you have your HDR-FOX set to DHCP or manual (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting)? If DHCP, the router should have supplied the correct information. If manual (why?), go DHCP temporarily to get the correct parameters and "Apply", then revert to manual and change only the IP address (if necessary), then apply again. (I have taken to using manual because my HomePlugs don't always wake up quickly enough for DHCP.)

Thanks for the reply Black Hole , the fault was, I believe, best described in Latin," Cranial Capacitus Lackthereofus". In other words my own stupid fault I had not matched the Gateway and the DNS.. DOH
Cheers for the quick reply and now for my next trick, how to get confused trying to master custom firmware.

"Cranial Capacitus Lackthereofus". In other words my own stupid fault
Mea culpa would be sufficient, or mea maxima culpa for a complete and utter cock-up.

I had not matched the Gateway and the DNS.. DOH
DHCP is the best way to go; if you want your router to assign the same address to the HDR-FOX every time (it makes life easier for accessing it from the network) you just need to configure the router to assign it from the pool of fixed IP addresses or (as in the case of my router) set the allocation to expire "never". This means the IP config is set up by the HDR-FOX at each boot by consultation with the router for the correct parameters, and by never expiring the router always reserves that address for the HDR-FOX (recognised by its unique MAC address).

Assigning IP addresses manually in your network devices has to be treated with caution. For one thing you must be very careful not to assign an address that is already (or might become) in use by something else. Also, the router has to be told to avoid handing out that address to something else by DHCP - for example, a friend brings his netbook to your house and you let him access the WiFi network - the address that gets handed out happens to coincide with a manually configured device which just happens to be turned off at that moment, but you then later switch on.

I am using manual (as I said) to overcome a problem with the HDR-FOX in combination with Devolo HomePlugs on the network, but I used DHCP to allocate the address in the first place and then set it not to expire at the router.

I have tried using dchp (this option is enabled on the router) the same result occurs.
This should have worked. Did you click "Apply" after selecting DHCP?

Cheers for the quick reply and now for my next trick, how to get confused trying to master custom firmware.
Ezra Pound always (and only) plugs the information on the Wiki - you will also find a great deal of information via the links at the bottom of this (and every one of my) post(s). Be aware that the custom firmware and packages are under continual development, so sometimes the published information gets out of date. Current discussion in relevant forum topics is the best source of information for the latest bug reports and developments.

I have no idea and take no notice of who wrote what part of the Wiki contents (note correct spelling), so that is irrelevant. I refer to any information that provides the answer. On the other hand, your total absence of references to any information I have posted, regardless of whether it provides the information people are looking for, is duly noted.

Perhaps you should concentrate on correcting and refining your content rather than picking fights with me, or perhaps you have forgotten what happened last time.

I have no idea and take no notice of who wrote what part of the Wiki contents (note correct spelling), so that is irrelevant. I refer to any information that provides the answer. On the other hand, your total absence of references to any information I have posted, regardless of whether it provides the information people are looking for, is duly noted.

Perhaps you should concentrate on correcting and refining your content rather than picking fights with me, or perhaps you have forgotten what happened last time.
This is becoming rather tiresome, can we please get back to the original thread.

Why what happened last time? did you get a private warning rather than a public one?
BTW
The WiKi is constantly being updated and is hopefully still providing valuable information to the 115000+ Main Page visitors it has had to date

This is becoming rather tiresome, can we please get back to the original thread.
I agree. I have raised my objections, and if they are not given adequate consideration and a satisfactory reply there will be some changes around here. I will not allow EP's personal grudge to pollute my dedication to this forum.

Why what happened last time?
Contrary to your stated wishes, your bickering was excised - go check.

The WiKi is constantly being updated and is hopefully still providing valuable information to the 115000+ Main Page visitors it has had to date
No doubt - but the downfall of the Wiki is that it states much but explains little. How many visitors continue to read the Wiki after the first main-page hit? I provide the explanations for people less used to reading technical information. Where the Wiki provides relevant material requiring little or no further explanation, I am very happy to direct people to it regardless of the author. I have already suggested providing links in the Wiki back to the key discussion topics for the specific packages, instead of which the Wiki continues to expect readers to hunt down additional information, or a place to post queries, themselves.

Was it an unratified, unilateral decision on your part to style it "WiKi"? I don't recall a poll on the subject. "WiKi" has no precedent that I know of, being derived (I believe) from wiki wiki (Polynesian for "quick quick"), and having nothing whatsoever in common with "Wi-Fi" (yes, I know I usually leave the hyphen out) or "MiFi".

While Black Hole insists that you MUST read 'Things Every . . . ' and also plugs the WiKi >> Telnet, as it isn't written by me, get the picture ?
I cannot force enquirers to read Things Every..., but as I wrote it to address the many enquiries the forum was handling on the "basics" of non-customised HD/HDR-FOX "quirks", it is more appropriate to direct new enquiries to it than write out the explanations again and again (as was happening). Had the Wiki been a better editorial platform for my writing, I would have put it there - but after due consideration (as stated at the time) I decided forum posts were my best vehicle. The general poor standard of written English is another reason I do not want to dedicate my time to the Wiki.

Users of this forum should be in no doubt the number of hours I devote here as a voluntary job. I have derived much benefit from the custom firmware, but I could continue to do so without contributing anything in return and I could find an outlet for my authoring abilities elsewhere (I have a number of projects on hold). I see no reason I should tolerate any unpleasantness from petty jealousies - this is not a school playground, and I will stand up for myself when somebody decides to spit in my pint. I will not tolerate a knee-jerk reaction to EP clicking the "report" button just 'cos he's a bit upset about home truths.

Anyone who disagrees with this analysis (except EP!), please step up to the plate and expain why.

I will keep my answers, like the WiKi, concise, I feel it isn't polite to publicly criticise other peoples work, but as you have seen fit do it again, I would say that most of your posts are far too long and that any information given is lost in a sea of irrelevant padding.

I will gladly use Wiki rather than WiKi if you will stop using 'UPD' (only ever explained in 'your' glossary) 'slide' and many other items placed in your posts so that you can then explain, at very long length, why you put it there.

Contrary to your stated wishes
It wasn't contrary to my wishes, Both my posts and yours were remove after I agreed with the moderators and af123 that they were of no use or interest to other readers

I cannot force enquirers to read Things Every..., but
The 'but' says it all

How many visitors continue to read the Wiki after the first main-page hit? .
Currently 623694, yes, over half a million ! !

wiki-stats.jpg

I did not coin "UPD", merely accepted it as a useful shorthand so your assertion is incorrect (as is your assertion in post 6), and besides "UPD" is not incorrect in any way. Your post 11 has just admitted to using "WiKi" out of bloody-mindedness, as presumably are the many of your typographical errors (do you want a list?). If the purpose is to deliberately expose yourself to criticism, then you can hardly be surprised if criticism is forthcoming.

As per the previous occasion, I will continue to counter false accusations with clear and simple statements of fact.

Shorthand expressions that need explanation to every other user of the forum don't work. Your assertion about my use of the word WiKi would only work if the whole World including this forum revolved around you, I have news for you it doesn't. If I use the same logic, am I to assume that you use very obscure terminology that needs long explanations to personally annoy me?. I'm guessing you intend to drag on this pointless argument in an attempt to persuade a moderator that it needs removing in it's entirety, including your warning in #7, so I'll leave you to have the last word as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back