Portal Review

As well as access to Internet content, the 1.02.03 brings with it a few fixes, including a resolution for an issue with audio drop out on HD programmes, and HDMI to DVI improvements. And auto delete feature is added to the recording capabilities, and multiple folders can now be selected for copy/move/delete.
Trailer Booking is added (both the BBC and Channel 4 currently broadcast info for Trailer Booking), and SMS input is now supported. And finally, an option has been added to the installation wizard to allow for power saving in standby.
Naturally, as a pre-release beta, it's craggy and temperamental, but that won't be the case with the final build (which is due "very soon", Pocket-lint understands)

Its looking like Humax sent it to the press a few days ago with instructions not to publish anything until today..

novice at connecting to network, assume will need really long ethernet cable, down one flight of stairs and across living room, or wifi dongle to use portal when it arrives

can anyone suggest sources for both please?

You would probably be better using "Home Plugs", and will need 2off, one to plug in somewhere near your HDR-FOX T2 and the other near your network router. These plug into a convenient 13A mains socket and have an ethernet port which you connect to your device with a standard ethernet cable. The signal is sent via your mains wiring, and will only work if both Home Plugs are plugged into the same ring main.

I use 85 Mbps units to connect my HDR-FOX T2 and Technika SmartBox 8320HD to my network and find they work very well. You can also get 200 Mbps Home Plugs which are more expensive.

The Humax
novice at connecting to network, assume will need really long ethernet cable, down one flight of stairs and across living room, or wifi dongle to use portal when it arrives

can anyone suggest sources for both please?

Wifi dongle are only about a tenner for 802.11g (supporting 54Mbps) this should give you a reliable 15-20Mbps, for most (not all) people that is much faster than their internet connection can handle.

You'll be looking at £30+ for 2 homeplugs (you need 2) (85Mbps) but the connection should be more reliable.

Humax will almost certainly have their own wi-fi dongles but I don't see why the price should be much different other than it will be a branded product.

Another vote for homeplugs - I have 200mbps units and get around 100Mbps out of them (the speed that you get seems to be dependent on the number of power supplies plugged in the local plug socket)

Indeed - but I doubt that there would be a problem in saying that the Techrader summary seemed pretty spot on from my perspective. Hang in there, general release cant be that far away now.

cant see point of gagging order if humax have already released the details on Techrader,

Another vote for homeplugs - I have 200mbps units and get around 100Mbps out of them (the speed that you get seems to be dependent on the number of power supplies plugged in the local plug socket)

not even sure if that is true. one of the sockets where i have a homeplug, as humax, xbox360, dvd, av, tv and a lamp (ok the equipment may not be power hungry), and i still average 150Mb, i've even tried homeplug on different cct's (downring to upring and downring to cooker), and still average 150Mb.

length of cable runs probably more to do with it, looking at how the house is probably wired and guessing the cable runs, i can get all the units within 50 mtr of each other.

cant see point of gagging order if humax have already released the details on Techrader,
Well I'm sure a lot of the beta testers are now running on old software, I'm sure I didn't get all the updates, only when I posted back problems that they tried to fix. They wouldn't really want people discussing old versions complaining about bugs/features that are no longer there, have moved or changed. That will just cause them more aggro.

Well I'm sure a lot of the beta testers are now running on old software, I'm sure I didn't get all the updates, only when I posted back problems that they tried to fix. They wouldn't really want people discussing old versions complaining about bugs/features that are no longer there, have moved or changed. That will just cause them more aggro.

but as the v no. is out,and they seem happy to talk about it now, the problems they have had along the way, are more than likely to come out.

so if there is any aggro it will happen anyway

they might as well let beta testers talk about it now (it makes no sense to keep them quiet)

Once the actual working software is out people won't bother mentioning bugs in the beta software. If anybody discusses beta stuff and mentions problems then people surfing and contemplating buying teh Humax may see it and not realise all the problems have been sorted and consequently be put off a sale. Why should HUmax take the chance. They have more control of review copies sent as they have the ability to withhold review copies in the future if something inappropriate gets mentioned.

not even sure if that is true. one of the sockets where i have a homeplug, as humax, xbox360, dvd, av, tv and a lamp (ok the equipment may not be power hungry), and i still average 150Mb, i've even tried homeplug on different cct's (downring to upring and downring to cooker), and still average 150Mb.

for my units it is certainly true. For example, my main PC in my home office connects to my BT homehub via 200Mbps homeplugs. If I plug my homeplug into the same socket as all the PC gear is hanging off-of, i.e. PC, 2 monitors, several disks, NAS, several printers and scanners, phone charger, battery chargers (a frightening tally actually) then I get something like 50Mbps or sometime nothing at all, even if all the kit is in standby. However, If i plug into another wall socket (or unplug all the other c**p) then I get something like 150Mbps.

I believe it has something to do with the number of transformers hang off of the local circuit introducing local noise. Especially the "slab type" external power supplies that are on all the time regardless of if the equipment is in standby or not.

Another example, The home plug serving the Hummy will vary it's connection speed considerably if I unplug the Wii. Even if it is standby, it's transformer seems quite noisy..

So I think in many cases, you'll get a good connection. But your mileage varies depending on local wiring and what else you have plug in the same outlet.

For me though, anything around or above 100Mbps is fine.

hmmm, i have a lot of things plugged into trailing socket, tv, two pvrs, aerial booster, stereo downstairs and pc, external hdd, printer upstairs and no spare sockets. sounds like the dongle may be better way to approach things if all this equipt would cause it to slow via homeplugs?

Back