[portal-xtra1] Custom TV Portal Alternative

Ezra Pound

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, (this package was submitted by spayz a.k.a. Ian Jukes), But I have added some information on a new alternative / addition to the Custom TV Portal on the WiKi HERE

Yes, it's a good looking plugin that. I think the idea is that it may eventually be offered as an alternative custom portal. I like the minimalist look and the fact that if you launch it and press 0, you just get a clock at the bottom right - something I really miss from my last Sony TV. The BBC news ticker is funky too (although just off the bottom on my TV with overscan disabled).

Spayz did email me some "blurb for the Wiki"

portal-xtra1 is an additional plugin for the Hummy custom-portal. Providing an
on-screen clock, and access to some of the custom-portal extra applications.

It's main current feature is a BBC News headline ticker - press 0 to exit the
news ticker and return to the colour button menu.

The TV Chat feature does NOT yet work, yes I will make it grey in the next
release, until I get it working.

This is beta software some functions do not yet work.

Hidden functions:
iNFO button shows an About screen, press '9' for a hidden 'test' menu, features
in here will change, connecting to the tv.tausoft.co.uk option will load the
latest nightly build that I am running on my box at home.
Future Plans:
The News feeder will be updated to offer other RSS News feeds, and adding your
own RSS news feed as a custom option, using an USB keyboard (or the infra-red
remote when I have a software keyboard figured out).

Yes USB keyboards do work - at least on the HDR-T2.

Setting an override on the current custom-portal so xtra1 loads as the default,
and a menu option to load the custom-portal page.
Adding other plugins (such as the portal-foscam) on the menus.

The next built-in app will be a TV chat function allowing users to chat with
other hummy users - using the infra-red remote (and the above mentioned soft
keyboard) or an USB keyboard.
(I have to figure out a user registration system - probably using oAuth - ie
your facebook or google sign-on).

Liking the look of this, but is it possible to allow the channel up/down buttons to work with the xtra portal showing?

Really like the look and feel of this version :) This should become the new default custom portal in my opinion - he really knows what he's doing! - i've just had no time to devote to my one for a good few months now.

new to the portal after problems getting webif installed

was disappointed to not see 4oD and five player, itv player etc not on it, i've not searched but i assume there are contractual problems with adding these, whereas sky hope to get more subscribers thru any medium available

what do we think the chances are of the other terrestrial channels allowing their players onto the custon portal?

ITV Player, 4oD & Demand5 players are up to the broadcasters to speak to Humax.

As for adding in to the custom portal without their consent, we need to write the code to get them to work which is not an easy task. Its not really a case of them allowing us to do it. Sky Player was already written & hidden just not published.

Like the look of this, however, not sure whether it is my TV, but when I launch it, it sits below the bottom of my screen so only see half the images, any idea how to move it up slightly?

The coding needs amending slightly to cope with screens that have overscan. You could try checking if you can change the setting on your TV in the meantime.

Anyone heard from Spayz ?

Anyone heard from Spayz ?

No, I had expected him to join and announce the alternative plugin on the forums.. (Do you think we should ask a mod to change this thread title to start with [portal-xtra1] in case he swings by?).

(I'm saying He based on the email address from which I received the package)

The coding needs amending slightly to cope with screens that have overscan. You could try checking if you can change the setting on your TV in the meantime.

Thanks Chris, I did try changing the format, but if I do it disappears altogether! I was just making sure it wasn't just me!

OK everyone,
I want your suggestions,

TV Channel changing
-- I am trying to understand the HTML/plugins that connect to the hummy box, and have not YET figured out how to change the channel, and believe me I want to do this too -- I have the code from the German MIT site and am trying to figure it all out - it may take some time.
You can see when the portal fires up it talks to the browser plug-in and retrieves the name of the channel (briefly displayed next to iNFO).
And the browser does receive the keypress events from the channel buttons.
Has anyone managed to get the html/JS source from the humax official portal?
Any pointers from anyone would be a big help.

Position
I already though about allowing a setting to move it to the top of the screen if required, and I did test in in 576,720 1080i/p etc on my TV and it was off the screen a bit on 576p - but as it's an HD box I thought "hey no one will be using it in 576".
Well now I know some of you may be tweaking things more than me.

So I will do something about adding a setting to move it up and down on the screen (probably just using the up/down 'arrow/cirlce') - this should be realtively easy so next realease.

As I am VERY busy with my bar job - work--eat--sleep--work--eat-sleep etc. - I hope to have one update a month out to you all.

As before, all suggestions welcome peeeps.
...spayz (Ian)

Who is he then? Been working independently?
I used to be a web application programmer, data analyst, at an engineering company - until I was made redundant four years ago.

Since then I have been "filling in" with bar work, and am now a manager at a busy city-centre bar.

Still looking to get back into IT, and pottering around doing little web projects for myself, in what little spare time I do have.

Yes I'm a bloke, and yes I suppose you'd have to describe me as an Independant (Brown Shirt?) --grin--

Just submitted an update to af123

portal-xtra1_0.12.040.624_mipsel.opk
  • Use up/Down Keys to move menu on-screen.
    -- note when menu is at the top of the screen the sub-menus still pop up above the menu, this will be fixed in the next release
  • Greyed out the TV Chat menu item - which does not work yet

Back