Power on Channel keeps reverting to Channel 200 (Red Button)

Ravi

Hi,

I don't check my HDR-FOX-T2 everyday, but when I come back to it, more often than not it's on Channel 200.

I've set the POC to be BBC 1 HD (Channel 101),

but when I check the POC has changed to 200.

This is annoying as if left for more than a week, it will start to loose updates on the EPG and thus miss series recordings.

Is this a know bug / issue?

BTW - I never use channel 200, so it can't be that it was left on that channel. Has been happening for a long while, but due to being away for more than a week, has caused recording to be missed recently.

thanks,

Ravi

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ANdwWX]
[/url]

It works OK for me, but what might be a silly and insulting question, you have clicked the Save Changes button, haven't you.
Sorry, but I had to ask.

The reversion to channel 200 is most likely coming from the disable-ota package, but the poweron-channel setting should override that. As it isn't working, try running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and see if that fixes it.

Also check your Activity.log in diagnostics to ensure the system is properly powering on in the morning and isn't just quickly waking up from what has been called delinquent half-awake state

You should see line like
Code:
21/11/2015 04:17:35 - System booted (Scheduled event).
21/11/2015 16:34:21 - System booted (Remote control handset).

I am saving get the POC changes, and confirmed they are there even after a reboot.

The OTA update package sounds likely as it seems to be after a few days that it has reverted to channel 200.
Could it be that something is not happening in the right order, and the POC package isn't working with Disable OTA?

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know too. The EPG is updated even when tuned to data channels such as 200.

All I can say is that if I leave this for too long and come back to the Hummy, the EPG is empty. Changing channel back to BBC1, and the EPG is back after a few minutes.

I thought different MUX's provided different EPG data?

I've just checked and it's back on channel 200.

I ran the fix-flash-packages diagnostic yesterday and set to channel 101 (as in the screen grab above).

Any other ideas? I might remove the Disable OTA package tonight, and see if that stops this, though it's not really ideal.

There is a weirdness here which needs pinning down (ie why the POC setting changes). However, all you need to do to make disable-ota force 101 instead of 200 is to manually modify the anti-OTA reservation in Guide >> Schedule (yellow) or via the WebIF >> Scheduled Events page.

Any other ideas?
Could you check if there is anything relating to poweron-channel in your xinit.log log file?

It should look something like:

Code:
POC: LCN 101, VOL 20, FAV -1
Setting channel to 101
Setting volume to 20

Also can you check the contents of the /mod/boot/poc file which should contain 101.
If you aren't getting anything relevant in that log file then I will give you some more things to check.

There is a weirdness here which needs pinning down (ie why the POC setting changes).
Is the POC setting changing?
I am saving get the POC changes, and confirmed they are there even after a reboot.
I took that to mean the setting were as expected, but it wasn't powering on to the expected channel.

My suspicion is that he is not actually successfully powering off at all e.g. delinquent half awake state, hence my suggestion in post 4 to check the activity.log for power on messages. We have not yet heard whether has has the expected messages

My suspicion is that he is not actually successfully powering off at all e.g. delinquent half awake state, hence my suggestion in post 4 to check the activity.log for power on messages. We have not yet heard whether has has the expected messages

I think you're right:

Code:
| 2015-09-17 10:47:13 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-09-17 10:53:35 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-05 17:13:48 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-09 21:15:38 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-11 18:16:30 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-12 12:49:51 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-16 19:30:17 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-16 19:35:22 | System booted (Front panel button).  |
| 2015-10-31 17:39:24 | System booted (Unknown 4).  |
| 2015-11-02 14:13:20 | System booted (Unknown 4).  |
| 2015-11-22 12:43:31 | System booted (Unknown 4).  |
| 2015-11-22 12:46:20 | System booted (Unknown 4).  |
| 2015-11-22 12:54:13 | System booted (Unknown 4).  |

Unknown 4 is usually a power-on from cold.

Code:
SQLite3: 3.7.5
POC: LCN 101, VOL 20, FAV -1
Setting channel to 101
Setting volume to 20
Opening /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db
XDSO: Removed DSO scheduled events.
SQLite3: 3.7.5
Opening /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db
XOTA: Removing any auto-update scheduled events.
XOTA: Removed 0
Found 1 existing OTA reminders.
Reminder already set.

This file?

HUMAX# pwd
/var/lib/humaxtv/mod
RAVHUMAX# more poc
HUMAX#

My Human isn't set to auto power off AFAIK, so maybe the POC is a red herring. It just seems to be set to channel 200 every time I look.

I suspect the Disable OTA is setting it to channel 200 at 4am or whenever it runs, as again this lunchtime when I checked it was on 200, and it was definitely on channel 101 last night.

My Human isn't set to auto power off AFAIK, so maybe the POC is a red herring. It just seems to be set to channel 200 every time I look.

I suspect the Disable OTA is setting it to channel 200 at 4am or whenever it runs, as again this lunchtime when I checked it was on 200, and it was definitely on channel 101 last night.
Yes a reminder causes it to switch to the specified channel so, as suggested above, you can just change the reminder channel to 101 and disable recreation of the reminder in the setting page.

If you dont power off then POC isn't going to do anything but if you don't check the box everyday why leave it powered on continually? - it will automatically power itself up in time for scheduled recordings and reminders

I took the previous posts to mean that the power-on-channel package settings were changing - I didn't realise the OP doesn't understand the difference between the POC setting and what the box was actually displaying at turn-on.

Ravi : The disable-ota package creates an 0420 reminder schedule, unless you disable that in the WebIF settings for it AND remove the schedule entry - for more info see Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click).

The power-on-channel package forces a switch to the specified service at boot time. If the 'Fox doesn't boot (eg wasn't in standby, or was held in Delinquent Half-Awake - see Things Every... section 18), POC cannot take effect, and the 'Fox will be tuned to whatever service you last set or the service forced by the OTA reminder schedule (whichever was the later).

The reason for using 200 is that it is a data service and therefore does not buffer to HDD, and neither does it have a sound track so you will not suddenly get noise from the when everything wakes up in the middle of the night (if you happen to have left the TV on). It does not seem particularly arduous to select the service you require when turning on, and we do not have a way to restore the service that was last selected.

FYI

I don't use the disable-ota package.

I followed BH's advice a few years ago and set up a repeating reminder (manually?) at 4:20am to 4:40am.

I set it to the same station as my Power Up Channel.

I took the previous posts to mean that the power-on-channel package settings were changing - I didn't realise the OP doesn't understand the difference between the POC setting and what the box was actually displaying at turn-on.

That's what confused me - because when I looked at the POC settings, it was set to 200, even though I would never have set that.

Anyway, I think I'll just set a manual reminder to channel 101, as it's clearly the Disable OTA package that is changing to channel 200.

The reason the box doesn't get powered down is because sometimes I'm away from home and access via the internet. So I can't be in a situation where the box is in standby, and I have no physical access, and no Web access. Nor do I want it to loose EPG, which seems to happen on channel 200.

Back