Power Saving...

It has always concerned me whether to boot and leave the disk running all day (or even permanently) or have the Humax boot on every recording or when I want to watch something. FWIW each day I usually leave my Humax in standby until I need it then rather than turn it off again I switch to a data channel eg. LCN 200 hoping that the strain on the time shift buffer is nil or small. Overnight it is in power saving standby - only because it is the last device in the aerial circuit (TV is old analogue and so aerial not needed). Of course, timers will upset this regime.
...I thought it was about the longevity of drives left running 24/7.
Not strictly relevant, but I did have a PC running 24/7 for the best part of 4 years for web serving and other uses with no disk problems. Also many years ago I was running a VAX system 24/7 with large simulation programs thrashing* the disk - no disk faults in 3+ years.
*see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrashing_(computer_science)

I didn't think this discussion was about energy, I thought it was about the longevity of drives left running 24/7. Obviously they are going to use more energy, but that's not the point.

Are you being deliberately obtuse ?

1 Most fit a splitter rather than using loop through on a Humax HDR - xxxx rather than using loop through because.

They want to save energy (and money) by be being able to utilise the power saving option provided

or

They have issues with the flawed loop through implementation on the later 1800/2000T models.

Some older users even unplug everything at night because they do not understand the small energy requirements required to keep a modern pvr in low power sby.

Most users will boot the box on returning from work and shut it down when they go to bed. (One boot a day). You are really suggesting that your 24/7 on hard disk will last longer than this duty cycle is frankly somewhat ridicolous. Do you leave your PC on 24/7 to increase the hard disk life ?

How many would even dream of leaving one on 24/7 ? Suggesting such is frankly irresponsible especially as you seem to want to ignore the actual costs of such an action.

This thread was started by a user who has a problem with a HDR-FOX-T2 where loop through is no longer working properly. Basically he has joined the 1800/2000T owners whose loop through added as an afterthought and any sensible owner will fit the splitter.

As to Trevs ludicrous bury my head in the sand post (faced with every sane scientific opinion and ignoring the increasing scientific evidence), I reckon he belongs with the the President Elect of the USA (God help our kids with what will happen after most of us are dead).

Most fit a splitter rather than using loop through on a Humax HDR - xxxx rather than using loop through because.

[1] They want to save energy (and money) by be being able to utilise the power saving option provided

or

[2] They have issues with the flawed loop through implementation on the later 1800/2000T models.
If I had to guess (and it is a guess), I'd say 2 rather than 1.
Some older users even unplug everything at night because they do not understand the small energy requirements required to keep a modern pvr in low power sby.
More likely they are old enough to remember the Public Information Films that encouraged a bedtime routine - switch off and unplug, shut doors etc.

You are really suggesting that your 24/7 on hard disk will last longer than this duty cycle is frankly somewhat ridicolous.
No it isn't ridiculous. I have 20 years' experience of running several dozen computers like this. Most of the disks in these have now been retired with 80,90 or even 100 thousand hours on the clock. Most had no (or a very small handful) of bad sectors. Of the ones that died, it was in the few thousand hours or 20-30 thousand.
My own personal PCs ran for 10 years with 1 bad sector between 5 disks.
Do you leave your PC on 24/7 to increase the hard disk life ?
Currently because the PC runs several VMs, which do things all the time. Perhaps you don't understand the concept and are stuck in the mentality that computers are only any use to do one thing at once and if there is one bone-head sat between the chair and the keyboard.

The use of your inflammatory words "reprehensible" and "irresponsible" is really what winds me up. That is what I meant about your nasty little agenda (which I did remove, but too late as you'd already quoted it).

For the record, as of now (power on hours / power cycle count):

HDR1 40349 / 3175
HDR3 29647 / 3133
HDR4 21717 / 1988

As for HDR2 - that's "outstationed", and goes on and off like a Thomson's lamp. That one hasn't broken (yet) either.

Back