Power usage.

free30

I'm new so be nice!

I've few questions about the power usage of the customised firmware.

Dose the customised firmware use additional power? Dose the auto-update, wake and sleep the system? Dose the 'unencrypted in place script' wake the system to perform it's un-encrypt every 15mins or dose it wait till its turned-on? Are there any other power using scripts or add ons?

Now the question has come because I have just got a second hand HDR box which keeps turning it self on over night. I did install the customised firmware soon after getting it but I am now thinking I need to remove it to try and work out why it keeps switching itself back on after an hour or so.

Any ideas would be gratefully received. :)

Maybe the previous owner has set up a wake up call overnight. Look in Scheduled Events on the Web interface. It would show up there. The default 04:30 one will be there also.

Thanks.
I've looked at that. There is the default 4:30 one but it looks like Saturday only. And no other.
Seems to turn on when you don't look at it. Maybe it's afraid of the attention. I do really like it, made all the better with the customised firmware. :) (Thanks everyone for all the work)
Is there a log anywhere or could I set one?
Else if it's not software guess it might be to do with the touch switch on the front.
Thanks again. Will let you know how I get on. And would still welcome any help.

The auto update recreates itself each night to run again the following night. So when Saturdays one runs it'll make a new one for Sunday. We tried deleting it but the box just makes itself another new one within a few days. As for a log I can't remember what's on the local webif but there is a log on the Remote Scheduling site - roll down the Home Page to Recent Activity and click More, then roll that down and there's a Diagnostic Entries button at the bottom. Might not cover everything but will tell you when reboots were occurring.

If you look in the system menus there might be a nightly timer on/off set, for reasons explained HERE (click).

Menu.. Settings.. Preferences.. Time.. Power On Timer / Power Off Timer

I have had an unscheduled boot-up, reported in Recent Activity, this morning (26th) at 05:24:59. I checked the box at about 06:30 and it was in standby. The 04:30 wake-up took place as normal.
Looking back to the 19th I see another boot at 06:29:56. That may have been down to me, but this morning's isn't.

Thank you.
Where's the recent active log? I've no idea why you had a start-up but at least its logged, sounds like a software/firmware fault.

Anyhow for me I am now certain that it is not software/firmware based problem for me.
I upgraded the disk last night and after putting it back together the problem was worse. It would change channel, volume and turn on/off with no input all the time. I took it apart again, cleaned and checked out the control panel at the front of the box. Couldn't see any problems yet I seem to have settled it back down and it hasn't controlled it's self for a few hours. I'll see how I get on but I think I am going to have to return and get a new one.
Thanks again for all the support. Guess that's it with the help unless someone know how I can change the sensitivity of these touch switchs.

PS. Since the post was titled Power usage and no ones mentioned it I guess it's true to say that it uses the same power as the regular firmware and only switchs on by it's self with a schedualed event or a problem like mine.

Cheers, :)

Since the post was titled Power usage and no ones mentioned it I guess it's true to say that it uses the same power as the regular firmware and only switchs on by it's self with a schedualed event or a problem like mine.

Cheers, :)

The actual running of the Custom Firmware package code itself won't take any extra power, It would only result in higher power being taken if the Custom package powered up the Humax from standby for example

Anyhow for me I am now certain that it is not software/firmware based problem for me.
I upgraded the disk last night and after putting it back together the problem was worse. It would change channel, volume and turn on/off with no input all the time. I took it apart again, cleaned and checked out the control panel at the front of the box. Couldn't see any problems yet I seem to have settled it back down and it hasn't controlled it's self for a few hours. I'll see how I get on but I think I am going to have to return and get a new one.
The last time I had problems like this (not with the Humax) the remote had got stuck and was transmitting continuously. You can use a digital camera view screen (eg a phone camera) to inspect IR sources - the digital image sensor is sensitive to IR.

The time before I had dimmed lighting - the flicker interferred with the remote frequencies. Compact flourescent can do the same. If you cover up the Hummy and it stops malfunctioning, you know the cause is external.

Thanks great advice thanks. Yet since its fluctuating between the five buttons on the front of the box and no other I won't dig out the camera.
Thanks though.

Back