PP3 Batteries

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I put a pair of Tesco "Extra Long Life" alkaline PP3 batteries (real batteries - not cells!) in my smoke and CO alarms in June. The CO alarm started that annoying "pip" a couple of weeks ago. The smoke alarm ditto yesterday.

I checked Tesco prices last night, the same batteries are £4 a pair. Duracell are £7.50 a pair, or the ultra long life "ideal for smoke alarms" are £5 each. I figure they'll last a couple of years rather than three months, but didn't buy pending a survey of prices.

The trouble is, my memory is getting vague. I found the batteries that I replaced in June, in the accumulation of dead batteries awaiting recycling (and I label them with date installed). They were fitted in October 2015, branded "Asda 9V Long Life". I'll have some more of those please! According to mysupermarket.co.uk, they are currently going for £3.50 a pair.

It's more expensive, but I upgraded to Nest Protects a while ago - mine are wired since the supply was there for the old alarms but the batteries should last several years according to their marketing. It will take a while to recoup the cost of course and B&Q aren't even doing their pensioners' discount day any more.

Please could you explain the difference between real batteries - not cells ?

A "battery" is so called because it is a battery (ie a bank or arrangement, as per a gun battery) of cells. Typically, a cell has a voltage of around 1.5V (2V for a lead-acid cell), so to get 9V six cells are stacked into a battery - within the overall package. So a "D" cell, for example, is not properly called a "battery" because it is just one cell (except everyone does, because repeated misuse becomes ingrained and standardised - AvP territory).

Simples.

Last edited:
Thanks, exactly what I knew.

Just a bit puzzled a bit by the start of your first sentence in the OP.

A battery has to be made of cells, so how can not cells be correct?

Well me neither, but I have relatives that I have used from time to time.
I had/have a card and used it a lot a couple of years ago. But I since discovered we have Screwfix nearby and plenty of other trade places and they are generally way more than 10% cheaper than B&Q. And I don't have to wait for Wednesday either :)

The Nest Protect may be an outlier here since it's about £100 almost everywhere and the B&Q discount was worthwhile.

I had/have a card and used it a lot a couple of years ago. But I since discovered we have Screwfix nearby and plenty of other trade places and they are generally way more than 10% cheaper than B&Q. And I don't have to wait for Wednesday either :)
Screwfix is B&Q!

Just a bit puzzled a bit by the start of your first sentence in the OP.

A battery has to be made of cells, so how can not cells be correct?
In as much as the only battery in common domestic use is the PP3.

Screwfix is B&Q!
No. They are both owned by Kingfisher, but they have little else in common, though I expect they have some common suppliers for some products. Screwfix isn't even 'just' a trade outlet for B&Q because they both have separate trade and retail counters (round here anyway).

Screwfix isn't even 'just' a trade outlet for B&Q because they both have separate trade and retail counters (round here anyway).
I was told by a member of staff in B&Q a year or so back that they're not too happy that Screwfix staff get trade discount at B&Q but not the other way round.

I was told by a member of staff in B&Q a year or so back that they're not too happy that Screwfix staff get trade discount at B&Q but not the other way round.
I've just been out to get four 10mm x 100mm frame fixings.
B&Q: £6.40 for 6,
Screwfix: £5.99 for 12,
Local merchant: £0.28 each (e.g. 12 for £3.36).
So I can't see Screwfix staff finding that B&Q discount especially useful except maybe stuff SF doesn't stock.

I think B&Q have the reverse motto to John Lewis - "Never knowingly oversold" :)

No. They are both owned by Kingfisher, but they have little else in common, though I expect they have some common suppliers for some products. Screwfix isn't even 'just' a trade outlet for B&Q because they both have separate trade and retail counters (round here anyway).
Stuff with the B&Q 'Diall' OB is appearing in Screwfix.

Wickes and Toolstation are part of the Travis Perkins group.

I've just been out to get four 10mm x 100mm frame fixings...
I'd go straight for Toolstation.

Here in Guildford if you stand in the right place you can see B&Q, Homebase, Screwfix, and Toolstation's behind Wickes.
So I can't see Screwfix staff finding that B&Q discount especially useful except maybe stuff SF doesn't stock..
Well of course.

Sometimes B&Q are cheaper than trade outlets. Happened with a couple of MK items I've wanted over the last year or so. In one case it was probably a mistake, the other was a slow-moving item on which the trade price had gone up considerably. Both have now been corrected.

Then there's stuff like copper tube, where everyone's the same price.

Last edited:
I'd go straight for Toolstation
I didn't realise Toolstation had stores :oops: . I've had stuff from them by mail order on occasions for years, but having moved down here three years ago I'm still finding things out.
Google says they are actually just on the other side of the roundabout/flyover from Screwfix in Southampton, so I'll have to check that out. (Though they are just starting on a massive rebuild of that roundabout, so both may be tricky to get to for about 6 months.)

Back