Prep steps for replacing a PVR

jammyd

I have had a few issues with my PVR, and need some advice on backing up data, fav channel config, schedule recordings and cleaning up in readiness for the replacement PVR.

1. I have decrypted the HD recordings attached a USB drive and copied out the current recordings
2. I have not been able to work out a method of using the Backup/restore from the custom firmware for a new disk. I have not been able to figure out how to transfer the backup to a fresh disk, perhaps someone can advise me on this. As a fall back I plan to backup and restore the following 5 files
/var/lib/humaxtv/rsvp.db, rsv.db, setup.db, channel.db
/mnt/hd2/dms_cds.db

3. Then follow the steps to remove the custom firmware
on this site as wiki/Remove_Modified_Firmware

4. Get new device, apply custom firmware and restore

Does anyone have any advice, guidance or perhaps find a simpler method (for backup and restore of the channel config, schedule etc)

Are you referring to a FOXSAT-HDR, or perhaps a HDR-FOX T2 ? If it is the latter, I will move this thread to the correct forum.

Edit: Thread moved.:)

I don't see the need to back up all those files, of you are replacing the whole HDR-FOX then just set the new one up from scratch (It's not that hard) and then restore your recordings to it.

Are your problems not simply disk related? You could try fix-disk in CF 2.16, and if that is no help just buy a replacement drive (about £50), install it, let the Humax format it, set up everything and restore recordings as before.

Sorry this is for HDR-FOX T2, I understand backing up the contents. But I have 50 odd scheduled events. When I get the new device, it would be great to have all the scheduled events transferred as well as the recorded programs

The WebIF creates backups of your schedule. It would be simple to transfer the WebIF backup file, and the WebIF restore is able to intelligently recreate the schedule for the new configuration.

Been busy looking, I think that the directory is
/mod/var/backup/

This contains the backup files in rbk format. I thought with people swapping disks etc that this would be a more common question

Okay, unless anyone has any further suggestions I think I'm done

Been busy looking, I think that the directory is
/mod/var/backup/

This contains the backup files in rbk format. I thought with people swapping disks etc that this would be a more common question

Okay, unless anyone has any further suggestions I think I'm done
How would one copy this file off of the humax to a PC?

I find the easiest way is to map the hummy as a network drive. Then you can copy the files using the methods that you know and love rather than mucking about with FTP

Also, I'm sure I used to be able to see the humax in my windows explorer network but no more it seems. What settings do I have to have enabled on the humax to see it in windows explorer?

Also, I'm sure I used to be able to see the humax in my windows explorer network but no more it seems. What settings do I have to have enabled on the humax to see it in windows explorer?
You need the Samba package installed and the server running (check Package Management and Service Management pages on the Webif).
OK I can see the humax but only the My Music, My Photo, My Video folders. How do i access /mod/var/backup/? Thanks
Add this to the bottom of /mod/etc/smb.conf (use the File Editor on the Diag page):
Code:
[Root]
  comment = Root
  path = /
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  browsable = yes
  create mask = 0644
  directory mask = 0755
  hide dot files = no

Thanks. So i gleaned from all of the above, sign in via FTP as user 'root' password 'root' and then double click the '..' on the remote site window which takes you up to the root folder with all the system folders in. Still no Humax in the windows explorer though, but I will try to copy the file via FTP. Thanks

Thanks. So i gleaned from all of the above, sign in via FTP as user 'root' password 'root' and then double click the '..' on the remote site window which takes you up to the root folder with all the system folders in. Still no Humax in the windows explorer though, but I will try to copy the file via FTP. Thanks
You probably need a reboot after updating the Samba config.

Back