Probably a silly question......

socrates

...... and no doubt I'll be embarrassed when its answered. What does the stripy box on the top right corner of the screen signify? It occasionally appears for a while then goes. I can't relate it to anything I've done or that the HDR seems to be doing. Its obviously a hummy thing since this site uses it when posting as a sort of 'working' indicator but what's the HDR doing?

The only thing I can think you are referring to is the stripy box in the corner of a TV transmission that indicates that there will be an advert break in 30 seconds time, does that tie up with your observations? If it is this, it is not being generated by the Humax but by the TV broadcaster

That sounds like it - A little black and white striped box. I'll check this evening. You mean it's been there all along and it's not a hummy thing? I really don't recall seeing it before which must mean my old TV had been chopping a bit off the top of the picture for the last umpteen years. I changed TV at the same time as I bought the HDR.

Someone tried to tell me you could get TV in colour now but you can't fool me that easily!

That sounds like it - A little black and white striped box. I'll check this evening. You mean it's been there all along and it's not a hummy thing? I really don't recall seeing it before which must mean my old TV had been chopping a bit off the top of the picture for the last umpteen years. I changed TV at the same time as I bought the HDR.

Someone tried to tell me you could get TV in colour now but you can't fool me that easily!

Correct it's been there for years. The overscan on your old TV clearly pushed it off screen.

So it's just another bit of screen clutter to get annoyed about - along with intrusive channel logos ( I know its channel 4 - I just switched to it! ), flashes for the next programme whilst I'm still watching the current one, (dis)continuity announcers wittering on whilst the credits are shrunk to make room for more clutter, and (god help us!) reading out banal tweets from people who can't keep their fingers off the phone for more than five seconds at a time, and don't even mention celebrity this, that and everything else.

I'm going for my lie down now.

Heh! All true, but the advert warning isn't a new thing, I remember it from when ITV was young. I think it was to warn the engineers to get their regional adverts ready to roll. Maybe it wasn't as visible on your last setup due to overscan.

Continuity announcers telling you what happens in what you're about to see and the 'next week' bits at the end of programmes are my pet hates. At least with AR recording you cut in just after the first bit, and at the end I either have to grab for the remote or stick my fingers in my ears and say la-la-la a few times!

Do broadcasters still depend on those ad break signals to correctly cue up the local ads?
One would have thought that by now in the digital age they would have automated systems using information in the invisible portion of the signal to control the ad breaks.

The signal still do have use as a signal to start to to get up to put the kettle on!

So it's just another bit of screen clutter to get annoyed about - along with intrusive channel logos ( I know its channel 4 - I just switched to it! ), flashes for the next programme whilst I'm still watching the current one, (dis)continuity announcers wittering on whilst the credits are shrunk to make room for more clutter, and (god help us!) reading out banal tweets from people who can't keep their fingers off the phone for more than five seconds at a time, and don't even mention celebrity this, that and everything else.

I'm going for my lie down now.

The reason ALL channels ruin the end credits of programmes these days is to do exactly that - make sure you can't make a clean recording, so they can sell their boxed sets. Ditto the channel ident.

I really don't recall seeing it before which must mean my old TV had been chopping a bit off the top of the picture for the last umpteen years

It will vary from TV to TV, On my Samsung the 'stripy box' is chopped off if it is set to 16:9, but you can see it if you set it to 'just Scan', also called pixal mapping or 1:1 mapping. So you might be able to get rid of it by choosing another TV display format

Back