Probably stupid hdd question

snafu

Hi,
I'm having problems with my T2's hdd (click here to view).

Looking around I've read articles about replacing the hdd but nothing about adding a second hdd? Can the HDR Fox T2 accommodate more than one physical drive?

If so, what I had thought to do was to install a new hdd then mount old one as subfolder on the new media drive. Then the existing recordings could, presumably, be watched and deleted in situ.

Alternatively could I simply keep the existing disk as the boot (system) disk and add a second data hdd for media? Again I'd mount the existing media as a folder on the new media drive.

Or am I just making needless hassle for myself?

PS apologies if this is covered on the web site somewhere - if so, I've missed it!

Looking around I've read articles about replacing the hdd but nothing about adding a second hdd? Can the HDR Fox T2 accommodate more than one physical drive?
There is only one SATA port as far as I know, so I don't know how you would connect the second drive. Given you can now use single drives bigger than 2TB (with the custom firmware) I think you are making hassle for yourself.

Replace the internal drive then connect the old one via USB and copy recordings from it back to the internal one.

Replace the internal drive then connect the old one via USB and copy recordings from it back to the internal one.

I don't have an external caddy or whatever to allow the internal disk to connect via USB and I was hoping to avoid buying one 'cos I'm stingy :)

Also, most of this has gone away. Just took the box out of standby to resume disk repair but it went into setup wizard, asking about languages etc.
It did a re-tune (and lost the schedule despite my having installed the widget to remember them - I forget the name offhand and the box is in maintenance mode just now).

However the good news is that the webif reported no hdd issues and - being paranoid - I ran fixdisk anway.
It no longer rewrites sectors and is currently running inode checks and fixes on /dev/sda2. I'm going to capture the telnet output then, if anyone would find it helpful, I'm happy to post it here.
Fixdisk did setup swap space and modified the file system in other ways so I'm not sure what will happen when I reboot...
Fingers crossed!

Back