Problem after copying files to USB disc

Tedm

Seeing that the HDD in Humax was up to 91% full, I bought a 500Gb USB disc to copy some large files onto. I used Gparted Live on my PC to format the new drive - easy! Succeded in copying about ten 2 - 2.5 hour HD programs (some of this years Formula 1 races). I've read on this forum that the broadcasts may have been encrypted to make them copyable but only playable through the Humax that originally recorded them. - No worries, I don't want to pass them around, only keep them for the winter evenings.
Here's the problem (at last). Most of the copied files on Humax and the files on the USB disk have been marked with a symbol like a black donut with a red X top right. Does this indicate that a copy has been made? I can do nothing with the originals files except watch them, I cannot delete them which is the purpose of the exercise. Have they been made read only? The copies appear to work perfectly
Does anyone know what I can do now?

Like this?
749_1_26_Video_Copy_Protect.png
(this image is actually off a HDR T2)

It means that the file is now copy protected as it has been copied the maximum number of times. It's part of the DRM system.

It's possible to reset the count by modifying the .hmt file that accompanies each recording. When Raydon releases his new customised firmware in a week or two, it's likely to include a utility that can do this for you.

Thanks for a very prompt reply. Yes the symbol I have is similar but the red X is top right. It appears that only the HD files have been marked. Programs before BBC 1 HD have not been.
Can you explain about 'Raydon releasing his customised firmware' please. I'm new here.
The problem with deleting the old files was cured by a re-boot of Humax. May be I shouldn't have set up a lot of files to copy - about 8 in the last batch. The poor thing may have got confused.
I've had the Humax for just over a year now, and it's a very good system. I've been very pleased with the results - but, and it's quite a big but, the documentation that came with it is lousy. The basic minimum. I guess that is all that most customers want.
Thanks again.

The networked version of AV2HDR together with the modified firmware should already allow you to reset the copy flag if you need to. Usefull if for some reason you have to abort a copy. The copied flag is set at copy start not the end.

Only HD recordings are protected in this way. They are only allowed to be copied a certain number of times before the Humax locks them and won't allow them to be copied again. Ignore the comment about Raydon's firmware - the AV2HDR sounds like a much better option if you want to reset the copy count.

Only HD recordings are protected in this way. They are only allowed to be copied a certain number of times before the Humax locks them and won't allow them to be copied again. Ignore the comment about Raydon's firmware - the AV2HDR sounds like a much better option if you want to reset the copy count.

You need the modified firmware to give you direct network access to the internal hdd if you want to modify the .hmt file directly. Otherwise the alternative approach of modifying the usb drive copy you don't need to use the modified firmware but you do need to be able to read the usb drive on a PC.

Recording HD in non-freesat (after a reboot in non-freesat) which requires the recording to be manually started will record HD content without encryption and free of copy restrictions

Back