Problem. Have an old faulty T2 with 2TB drive. Also have a new working T2 with no HDD

SemiRamis

Is the solution as simple as this:

copy encryption key from old T2 taken from webif

paste it to encryption key on the new T2

All the recordings will be playable by the new T2 with the old HDD installed in it?

Essentially Yes.
CF will need to be installed on new T2 first, diag fix-flash-packages from telnet command line should be adequate to re-enable all webif functions.

What is dodgy about old machine - it may be fixable

The tuners have packed up. And I am not a dab hand with the soldering.
Nobody's had any success with that anyway, and where would the tuners (or more likely the decoder chips) come from? It would be silly to take them out of a working chassis.

Is the solution as simple as this:
Even simpler: if the original HDR-FOX is still functional (tuners notwithstanding), decrypt everything and then transplant the HDD into the new HDR-FOX.

Swapping a HDD between HDR-FOXes

Last edited:
Even simpler: if the original HDR-FOX is still functional (tuners notwithstanding), decrypt everything and then transplant the HDD into the new HDR-FOX.

Connect the HDD from the old HDR-FOX to a PC, and use Linux or Windows* software available on this forum to decrypt all recordings. After that, all the existing recordings will be playable by installing the old HDD into the new HDR-FOX, or you could copy the recordings into the new HDR-FOX by USB or FTP.

Thank you for the info but...

Surely the simpler option is to just copy a key from old machine to the new machine. How long would it take to decrypt a 2TB disk?

Surely the simpler option is to just copy a key from old machine to the new machine.
I'm inclined to your view, but there is one thing to consider. All new recordings will also be encrypted with the 'new' key so you will be trapped with it (unless you plan to just watch all the recordings). It shouldn't be a problem but if for some reason the CFW became lost you'd lose all encrypted stuff. Highly unlikely but just know about it.

Just take a note of both encryption keys, so that you could decrypt recordings later if you wish (by using the Windows or Linux utility on a pc). You can also decrypt on the new HDR if you place the old key on the new HDR, as per your initial post. It'll be slower but convenient (only 1 drive swap) on the HDR.

Last edited:
Could I not copy the recordings to an usb then?
I'd expect that process to need the decrypt key, but others can say for sure.
It's a very unlikely event I'm flagging but if there is anything really precious it would be best to decrypt it anyway.
Or as others say "It's only telly".

Connect the HDD from the old HDR-FOX to a PC, and use Linux or Windows* software available on this forum to decrypt all recordings. After that, all the existing recordings will be playable by installing the old HDD into the new HDR-FOX, or you could copy the recordings into the new HDR-FOX by USB or FTP.
Crikey no, not like that! You seem to have a talent for focussing on the hard way. That's an option for when the originating HDR-FOX is dead.

Surely the simpler option is to just copy a key from old machine to the new machine. How long would it take to decrypt a 2TB disk?
I would reserve that method for when the originating HDR-FOX is no longer functional at all. The reason is that it comes with the significant disadvantage that any new recordings will be made with the non-native key for the new HDR, and if it is ever booted without CF then it will have the wrong key.

If you read what I pointed you at, you will know that if you use that method you are advised to decrypt everything anyway (to avoid the problem above), so your objection to processing time is irrelevant. Decrypt on the old box, or decrypt on the new box with extra steps required – your choice.

Decryption (by the method I recommend) is performed in hardware and is therefore fast. Okay, it might take a day or two to get through a full 2TB HDD, but then again it's not very good housekeeping to have a full HDD in the first place.

To decrypt (this information is spelled out in full elsewhere):
  1. Install auto-unprotect;
  2. WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> My Video >> Opt+ >> Recursive Auto-Decrypt.
Then wait. That's all there is to it. You can monitor progress by watching out for the green "Dec" (decrypted) icons against the recordings in the WebIF >> Browse Media Files view, or view the log in WebIF >> Diagnostics >> View Log Files >> auto.log.

Maybe dedicate the old HDR as an archive file server with (perhaps a USB hub and) additional drives? Install ntpclient to keep it on time.

To decrypt (this information is spelled out in full elsewhere):
  1. Install auto-unprotect;
  2. WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> My Video >> Opt+ >> Recursive Auto-Decrypt.
That's what I have already on the old T2. I must be confused between this and what decryption occurs when you copy to an USB stick

Maybe dedicate the old HDR as an archive file server with (perhaps a USB hub and) additional drives? Install ntpclient to keep it on time.
The old one will have no drive. Could yo give me an easy to understand for non programmers scenario?

That's what I have already on the old T2. I must be confused between this and what decryption occurs when you copy to an USB stick
In which case you can just move the drive between machines without needing to copy encryption keys.
Just need to install Customised firmware on new machine if not already installed

Copying to USB is a way of achieving decryption for those that don't have customised firmware installed

It only matters if you have not been routinely decrypting recordings. You spoke as if recordings were not decrypted, so were directed at methods to overcome that problem. Garbage in, garbage out.

There is no appropriate scenario when you don't want to leave the drive in place.
Read the thread title

Also have a new working T2 with no HDD​

with no HDD in the new machine the logical option is to move the HDD from the faulty machine into the new machine

I think there is little use for a Humax with no HDD and faulty tuners other than as source of spare parts

Read the post I was replying to.
I did - the suggestion to use the old box as a file server doesn't make sense when removing the disk is the sensible choice

Edit: I think we are actually agreeing but I got confused by the negatives in your reply

Last edited:
Back