Problem installing full web interface

Firstly, I apologise to all for my confusion. I am using the Foxsat HDR satellite recorder. I must have installed the proper firmware because the boot display says Custom FW v4.1.3, but to be sure, I've redone it from raydon's rar file. The zipfile I talked about must be a red herring, and I don't remember where I got the first raydon's file from.

I've made some progress, and have managed to install the first 6 files on raydon's instructions on myhumax dot org/forum/topic/hdr-pc-connect-without-internet/page/3#post-20612, and they show up with the Telnet command "opkg list". I had the files on a memory stick in the front panel socket, and the names got extended by ".done", and log files were also generated. However, for all of them I got an error on screen of "file not found", even though they installed.

I can't install webif_2.88_mips.opk and the final two files. The install log file says:
Install started
Installing webif (2.88) to root...
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for webif:
* webif-docs * channel-icons *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package webif.
Install done

It seems the "--force-depends" command tail doesn't work. Your instructions talk about putting the opk files into a folder called /opt/tmp, but I thought that was a description of the process, and the files would go into this folder in the Humax. You say "Download packages...", "Then telnet into the box and execute the following commands in the exact order given". The first command is "cd /opt/tmp". I hope that is a telnet command, and not a PC command before invoking telnet. Or is it both, and an opt/tmp folder is selected both in the Humax and the PC? Your instructions didn't mention ftp.

error:roflmao: OOPS.
Would it not be a lot easier to temporarily connect your Foxsat to the internet? Then it 'just works'.

It seems the "--force-depends" command tail doesn't work. Your instructions talk about putting the opk files into a folder called /opt/tmp, but I thought that was a description of the process, and the files would go into this folder in the Humax.
You are making assumptions yet again. The install from USB method is an automated process which does not include the "--force-depends" option. To use this option you must copy the opk file onto the Foxsat. The "--force-depends" option for opkg does work, but it needs something to work on. If you have not manually copied the package to the /opt/tmp folder, then the opkg command will fail because it simply has no package to work on.
You say "Download packages...", "Then telnet into the box and execute the following commands in the exact order given". The first command is "cd /opt/tmp". I hope that is a telnet command
It is, or more precisely, it's a linux command issued from a telnet session.
Your instructions didn't mention ftp.
My instructions were aimed at users with a basic working knowledge of how to transfer files over a network, not total NOOB's. FTP is just an easy way to achieve this. Please remember, the custom firmware was designed to be used with an Internet connection in order to make the installation of the Web Interface, and other custom packages as transparent and painless as possible. If you wanted easy then you really should have gone down that route.

However, all is not lost. Instead of FTP you can copy the package from the USB stick directly to the Foxsat. The USB stick should still contain the web interface package which will now have been renamed to webif_2.88_mips.opk.done
Open a telnet session and enter the following four commands exactly as written:
cd /opt/tmp
cp /media/sda1/webif_2.88_mips.opk.done /opt/tmp/webif_2.88_mips.opk
opkg install webif_2.88_mips.opk --force-depends
rm webif_2.88_mips.opk

Once installed the remaining two packages can then be installed via USB stick.
Once (if) you get that far there is another file you need to install in order to get scheduling from the web interface working.

Last edited:
"Total NOOBS" such as I am have to make assumptions if lacking the required knowledge.
Thanks to your latest instructions, I was able to install all nine packages, as confirmed by 'opkg list'.
Sadly, the yellow-button page remained (yes I rebooted and flushed browser caches).

I thought the packages might have got installed in the wrong order, as previously I had found the epg package missing after I had tried to install the first six, and added it afterwards (but before webif). So I now used opkg to remove all nine, then reinstalled them in the correct order., but still no joy.

Would installing this scheduling file you mention suppress the yellow-button page?

It's possible my Humax may be faulty. I got it from Freecycle in a non-working state - it kept trying to boot every minute but never managed. I put the latest software I could find on the web into a stick and booted off that, and was surprised to find the machine now worked. However after some weeks it was taking longer and longer to boot, so I thought I didn't have much to lose by installing your custom version, and it's been fine for months now.

The main reason for trying to get your interface to work is the promise of being able to be able to make copies of its HD recordings available to play on my PC, even as SD versions. Beyond that, I'm now tired of the struggle, and will wait for an opportunity to try the online update method.

"Total NOOBS" such as I am have to make assumptions if lacking the required knowledge.
Thanks to your latest instructions, I was able to install all nine packages, as confirmed by 'opkg list'.

I thought the packages might have got installed in the wrong order, as previously I had found the epg package missing after I had tried to install the first six, and added it afterwards (but before webif). So I now used opkg to remove all nine, then reinstalled them in the correct order., but still no joy.

Would installing this scheduling file you mention suppress the yellow-button page?
No, but there is another package required which was not included in that old post because the http server used on the Foxsat has changed since then. Something I had overlooked because you are probably only the second person since the initial release of the Web Interface back in 2011 who has ever wanted to install things this way. It is difficult enough to guide an experienced person in how to do this, never mind a relative novice. I don't think you realized just what you were asking for.
Any way, the additional package you need to install is lighttpd_1.4.35_mips.opk
In addition you should unzip the three files in the zip archive I've attached below.
Copy these onto a USB stick and install from telnet using the following commands
cp -f /media/sda1/DefAuthInit.sql /opt/epg/DefAuthInit.sql
cp -f /media/sda1/base /opt/var/opkg/base
cp -f /media/sda1/pkg.meta /opt/var/pkg.meta

Hopefully, this will finally get you up and running.

The main reason for trying to get your interface to work is the promise of being able to be able to make copies of its HD recordings available to play on my PC, even as SD versions. Beyond that, I'm now tired of the struggle, and will wait for an opportunity to try the online update method.
If you want to unencrypted HD then you also need to install nowsters patch settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk

Attachments

• files.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
HOORAY! Everything now works, thanks to your instructions. Of course I didn't realise just what I was asking for!

I had a slight difficulty when I tried to install lighttpd - it said it had dependency on openssl package and would not install. So I added the "--force-depends" command. It started to install but then the cheeky thing tried to get openssl from the internet. So I downloaded that package and installed it, after which lighttpd installed OK.

I also installed the samba package, and can now see all the folders and files in Windows Explorer.

I had not heard about nowster's patch, but have installed it and it works. I intended to use the Foxy program to modify the 'encoded' flag in the hmt files. I haven't used the program, but intended to patch the files manually with DOS Debug. However the instructions for foxy I found say that the flag byte in question is at address 03DC, needing to be changed to 04 (from what it didn't say), but this does not correspond to anything particular in my existing files and did not remove the ENC notice when I tried it. But maybe that foxy was for the HD-T2 which confused me at the start of this thread. Is there a way to edit the hmt files that are already in the recorder, so that the Humax will copy the recordings to a stick in decoded form?

Foxy is for HDR-FOX & HD-FOX (and I think it also works on HDR-1800T and HDR-2000T) - on Foxsat, if a recording is encrypted there is no way to decrypt it (and Nowster's Patch prevents it being encrypted in the first place).

Last edited:
You cannot use, and do not need Foxy. That utility is purely for the HD(R) Fox T2. As BH has so quickly pointed out, once nowsters patch is installed all future HD recordings will be made unencrypted and there will be no ENC icon displayed with the recording when listed in the Foxsat's own media browser. Unfortunately any HD recordings you made prior to installing the patch will forever remain encrypted.

I intended to use the Foxy program to modify the 'encoded' flag in the hmt files. I haven't used the program, but intended to patch the files manually with DOS Debug. However the instructions for foxy I found say that the flag byte in question is at address 03DC, needing to be changed to 04 . . .

Here is a reminder of what I said in #16 :-
Although there is some overlap of products, the vast majority of the content in the wiki is for the HDR-Fox T2 / HD-Fox T2 and not for the Foxsat product

Back