Problem playing avi files

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've been given a couple of AVI files that were somehow created from video cameras. One of them plays fine and the other doesn't but as far as I can tell they use the same container/codec. I've tried converting the broken one to a few different formats but the Humax can't play any of them. The only success I had was converting the broken one to DivX (using ffmpeg) and omitting the audio stream - that time the video played; could the audio stream be the problem?

Can anyone help or suggest things to try?

Thanks!

Code:
Input #0, avi, from 'works.avi':
  Duration: 00:22:17.3, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1096 kb/s
  Stream #0.0, 23.98 fps(r): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 512x384
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s

Input #0, avi, from 'broken.avi':
  Duration: 00:22:17.7, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1095 kb/s
  Stream #0.0, 29.98 fps(r): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 512x384
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 160 kb/s

The only difference in the above is that the one that works is 24fps (frames per second) and the one that doesnt is 30fps.
Convert the broken file to 24fps and retest.

The only difference in the above is that the one that works is 24fps (frames per second) and the one that doesnt is 30fps.
Convert the broken file to 24fps and retest.

How would the framerate affect the audio stream or vice versa?

OP, this is interesting because I've had similar problems with a couple of WMV files (I've posted in another thread about), both of which I converted to MPEG-4 and ACC audio. One plays fine, but with the other the Humax says it can't hand;e the audio format and just plays the video :confused:

How would the framerate affect the audio stream or vice versa?

In short, it shouldnt, but this is Humax remember. I think the codec support is a bit ropey at the moment which is why they have said they hope to suport more with a future firmware update. The fps is the only real difference in af123's post..

It maybe just a bug that is dropping the audio.. best way is to find a format/container that works, and convert any video to the same until the time when Humax says more codecs/formats will work.

Back