Problem with DLNA on BT HomeHub3

jimag

Hi I have the Lan Network connected in setup and tvportal works but when I try to change the drives to my computer I get a message saying no network found.
Has anyone got a fix?
Thanks Jim

Your computer needs to be running a DLNA server program before the Humax will see any files on it, a basic DLNA server is built into Windows Media player, look in Library >> Media Sharing and see if the Humax is listed

Your computer needs to be running a DLNA server program before the Humax will see any files on it, a basic DLNA server is built into Windows Media player, look in Library >> Media Sharing and see if the Humax is listed
Hi, thanks for your prompt reply I can see the humax on the Midea player and it is in the listing of the network listing.

Repeat after me... DLNA, DLNA, DLNA
I am connected to net via BT HH3, I now know that does not allow DLNA, I have a Sky net gear router that used to allow DLNA can I use that whilst using BT internet?

prpr's comment was because (before edit) post 2 got the acronym muddled.

HomeHub3 does not allow DLNA?? This seems unlikely as it is a common thing for people to want to do (particularly BT customers who probably have little technical knowledge and just expect their smart TVs etc to "just work"). If it's really true, you have a cause for complaint (and so would many other BT users). What does the BT users forum say about it?

Bear in mind you are not expecting DLNA to work on the outside connection to the Internet, only within the home network.

I have had a quick skim of the Internet and it seems there is indeed some kind of problem with the HomeHub3 and DLNA, although I notice at least one person reports theirs as working with a Humax. There may be a diffence between 3a and 3b.

Is the Netgear an ADSL modem/router? If so plug it in and try it. Depending on its actual capability you might not get your maximum data rate. If the Netgear does not work satisfactorily it would still be possible (I think) to use the HomeHub as the modem and the Netgear as the router, by disabling the relevant functions on each.

May I suggest the moderators retitle this topic something like "Problem with DLNA on BT HomeHub3"? (now done)

prpr's comment was because (before edit) post 2 got the acronym muddled.

HomeHub3 does not allow DLNA?? This seems unlikely as it is a common thing for people to want to do (particularly BT customers who probably have little technical knowledge and just expect their smart TVs etc to "just work"). If it's really true, you have a cause for complaint (and so would many other BT users). What does the BT users forum say about it?

Bear in mind you are not expecting DLNA to work on the outside connection to the Internet, only within the home network.

I have been on the BT website forum and it would seem from what I have read there that BT don't won't to answer the questions. I know it's early days yet but after posting on the same forum and emailing BT direct and not getting a reply I am beginning to believe they don't care, I'm paying considerably more for an inferior service.

BT don't care. They just steal money from you. Get a decent ISP. Sadly the one I'm with is owned by BT, but on the Plus side (!) at the moment they don't inherit the badness.

I have been on the BT website forum and it would seem from what I have read there that BT don't won't to answer the questions. I know it's early days yet but after posting on the same forum and emailing BT direct and not getting a reply I am beginning to believe they don't care, I'm paying considerably more for an inferior service.

maybe you should talk to watchdog, see if they can get any sense out of BT.

Is the Netgear an ADSL modem/router? If so plug it in and try it. Depending on its actual capability you might not get your maximum data rate. If the Netgear does not work satisfactorily it would still be possible (I think) to use the HomeHub as the modem and the Netgear as the router, by disabling the relevant functions on each.

If it's BT Infinity, you need a DSL router, not ADSL. I have a Netgear router working fine on Infinity, the Netgear WNDR3300/3400 are fine. Plug them into the separate BT modem supplied.

If it's BT Infinity, you need a DSL router, not ADSL. I have a Netgear router working fine on Infinity, the Netgear WNDR3300/3400 are fine. Plug them into the separate BT modem supplied.
Thanks black hole it's not infinity.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what the problem is here, but I have a BT HH3.

I've got 2 HD's that talk to an HDR (one wired, one wireless). I've also got a laptop running XBMC which can playback programs from the HDR. The HD's and HDR can also see the laptop when it's on, but don't seem to want to connect. This is probably due to sharing being disabled, the guest account being diasabled and all others requiring a login.

I also have a NAS that only gets switched on occasionally, it's visible from the Humax boxes and TV's.

The problem in this topic is with using DLNA to stream rather than setting up a foxlink connection. DLNA provides access without needing the custom firmware, but is more restricted in its abilities.

Are you able to access recordings on the HDR from the HDs using Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network? The HDR needs the "Content Sharing" turned on in the menus (which it is if you are able to decrypt recordings in place), and should show up on the HD's network list as "HDR-FOX T2 Media Server".

Yes, I only installed foxlink in the past week or so, prior to that I was using Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network, it worked but was a pain only being able to skip forward and having been browsing this forum I decided to give foxlink a try (it's great).

I've just retried Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network using the wirelessly connected HD and it works, SWMBO is using the wired box. Although both boxes are running the latest customised firmware, the HDR is only using the standard media server, MediaTomb is not installed.

No problem, if you don't know the facts, you can't make an accurate diagnosis. I've learnt a lot from reading this forum.

Back