Problems setting up new HD-Fox T2

is there a consensus that i should next run the "reset" option from the Telnet menu?
As good a way as any; from our end we struggle to understand the limits of any particular enquirer's comfort zone and therefore what the best advice is. Hence the range of options. The intention is to stop any remnant CF stuff (specifically tunefix) interfering with the function of the box while you retune it.

BTW, what is the advantage of the custom firmware (just a link would be fine - i'm sure it must be on the site somewhere).
It depends how you intend to use the unit (particularly HD-FOX). If you don't intend to record with it (and I understand you only got it to be a Freeview tuner with a decent EPG function), there are fewer advantages because many of the CF "extras" will require a USB HDD (or at least a UPD) permanently attached (which would be a given if you were intending to record).

IMO the primary advantage (without recording) is the ability to automatically impose a pre-defined user configuration at boot time: eg default channel, volume level, LCN allocation, etc. Some of these are a standard thing, but the box sometimes forgets or suffers a reset. If you do record, or are willing to add a drive/stick especially for CF, you get a rich web-browser based management interface (the "WebIF") from where you can set up and manage recordings and other functionality, even remotely. For more info just follow the "CUSTOM FIRMWARE" link in the footer to this post.

If you want to use the HD-FOX to access BBC iPlayer, CF is pretty much a necessity at the moment.

Some of this should be pretty familiar, because I think you said you use the Foxsat CF, but the HDR-FOX and HD-FOX CF is more capable (the Foxsat is relatively primitive), albeit that the HD-FOX is a cut-down HDR-FOX.

Well, i chose reset from the telnet menu and the the box seemed to revert to the standard firmware, but unfortunately, after a retune and switching off, the exact problem remains: nothing between 105 and 109 :-(

i chose reset from the telnet menu and the the box seemed to revert to the standard firmware
How are you determining this? It hasn't. It's only whatever your perception is.
, but unfortunately, after a retune and switching off, the exact problem remains: nothing between 105 and 109
I was going to say did you try the stuff in post #12, but too late now. It seems moot as you've reset the CF environment and it still doesn't stop the problem, whatever it is.
I've already posted my alternatives, but doubt they will help.

I take it that means the firmware update doesn't over-write the relevant part of the flash file system.
Correct. It updates the kernel and the root filesystem. It doesn't update the read/write filesystem bits (which are mapped to /var/lib/humaxtv and /var/lib/humaxtv_backup) - this is what the system flush re-does. (Check out cat /proc/mtd and mount if you want a learning experience in dot joining.)

Well, i chose reset from the telnet menu and the the box seemed to revert to the standard firmware
The firmware hasn't changed, but the reset might/could/should have stopped it interfering... it seems the only way to conclude this is by installing standard firmware.

I've made the update file for 1.03.02 available to download HERE (click), it will need unzipping to a UPD formatted as FAT rather than NTFS.

There's a difference when i boot up. I no longer get simply F3.13. I get F3.13 for a couple of seconds, then Entr for a second, then rset.
Are you saying it's doing this every time?
I thought reset mode was supposed to be self-cancelling.
Having read the code that does this, you could try going into maintenance mode (the "maint" option from the Telnet menu) and then exit and reboot. That ought to clear it.

Yes, it's doing it every time. Afterwards - as before - it goes into ?ode for several seconds and then the last channel viewed.

TBH i think my best bet at the moment is to install the standard firmware. As i understand it, this will definitely fix the problem. Presumably, from there, i can always do what would amount to a 'clean instal' of the CF if required?

USB Pen Drive. I did link to an explanation and instructions in post 17. - Got it, thanks.

I followed the instructions, but after inserting the pen drive and pressing the standby button on the set, it just reboots into F3.13, Entr, rset, ?ode and then the last channel viewed. The "download process" does not appear to have started.

I think the reason it is failing to reset is that modinit is not being executed. It would normally be executed when /mod is mounted but will not happen on an HD without the full CF installation.

It worked the second time. The instructions i found did not mention holding the button down, but the ones zipped with the firmware did. And the problem does appear to have gone. Unfortunately, there are one or two others apparent, including losing the favourites epg if you stray into channels that are not favourites... which is presumably one reason why the CF was developed :)

If i install the CF now, will the the the problem of the disappearing channels return?

I think the reason it is failing to reset is that modinit is not being executed.
Ah, of course! That's damned annoying though.
It would normally be executed when /mod is mounted but will not happen on an HD without the full CF installation.
Presumably the same applies to an HDR with the disk disconnected (for whatever reason).
So, a short-term solution could be to run /sbin/modinit reset_all manually, having selected the "cli" option from the Telnet menu?

It worked the second time. The instructions i found did not mention holding the button down, but the ones zipped with the firmware did. And the problem does appear to have gone. Unfortunately, there are one or two others apparent, including losing the favourites epg if you stray into channels that are not favourites... which is presumably one reason why the CF was developed :)
The HDR-FOX T2 does not need to have the button held down unlike the HD-FOX T2.
The CF makes no difference to the favourite group being lost when switching away from a favourite channel.
If i install the CF now, will the the the problem of the disappearing channels return?
I think the bug will still be present since version 1.03.02 does not overwrite that area in flash. This is different to version 1.02.28 which will overwrite that area in flash memory.
Edit - Scratch that, neither version will overwrite the relevant area of flash memory.

Last edited:
The instructions i found did not mention holding the button down
Really? As per the link from post 17:
2. Put the HD-FOX into stand-by, plug in the stick, then press and hold the stand-by button (on the box) until the TV screen shows the firmware update screen and "downloading in progress" (or words to that effect). You can then let go of the button.

Not if you do a complete install with external HDD, and make sure you remove any remnant tunefix configuration. We can also explain how to straighten it out using command line tools.

The favourites thing is a bit of a problem, and one reason I don't use them. However, I believe favourites can be re-invoked each boot.

Last edited:
including losing the favourites epg if you stray into channels that are not favourites
There is a logic to this, though it could be classed as a bug ... which is why the term "Undocumented feature" was invented.
As others said, it's not a CFW thing, it's the basic Humax system.
The workaround is to not use the P+/P- buttons - always use the List or EPG to find channels.

I used the instructions in the 'click to expand' box. I see now it does say 'press and hold' further down, but i'm afraid i missed it.

Does the complete install have to be via HDD or will a UPD be OK? (Sorry if i'm being too literal, i'm not that hot on this stuff).

There is a logic to this, though it could be classed as a bug ... which is why the term "Undocumented feature" was invented.
As others said, it's not a CFW thing, it's the basic Humax system.
The workaround is to not use the P+/P- buttons - always use the List or EPG to find channels.
So, installing the CF will NOT sort out this particular 'feature'? I seem to remember my old 9200T stuck doggedly to its Favourites EPG :)

Back