Problems setting up new HD-Fox T2

It's only randomly entering channel numbers that breaks the Favourite selection. P+/- navigate within the selected Favourite group.
It is not the only way to lose the favourite group selection.
If a new group is selected and then the channel changed, pressing swap (after info) will return to the previous group as well as the previous channel.
Sometimes when the box has to change the channel due to recording clashes, it will return to the TV group.

A quick update for those who have not lost the will to live.

To cut a very long story short, I discovered the flashing screens were down to the v-format button and now the only problem that remains is the dropping and/or breaking up of (mostly HD) channels i.e. pretty much full circle.

I've tried the humax with two different aerials and with two different freeview TVs - one SD one HD. Both TVs worked perfectly off both aerials but the humax problems persisted in CF or SF mode. I did notice a change in reported signal strength on the humax in the two locations and also when the pass through RF to the TV was removed. (In one location the strength went up after removal, in the other location, the strength went down!) I then remembered an ancient Tesco special offer Teknika HD box i had stored away and connected that; it worked perfectly in both locations.

I'm not a technical person, but i feel sure that there is a problem with the tuning hardware on the humax - it seems to need a particularly strong signal compared to the other devices. Whether this is a 'feature' or just old age, i guess it's the end of the road.

On the bright side, although the Teknika does not have a meaningful favourites feature, i can delete channels from the EPG. And it has some other useful features so i'll probably use it as my 'front end' when i move imminently to a 4k TV.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

It wasn't for want of trying :)

Just as a postscript. After writing my last message i left the humax plugged in upstairs (where the weaker signals are). Since then - 48hrs and counting - the box has worked perfectly!

i left the humax plugged in upstairs (where the weaker signals are). Since then - 48hrs and counting - the box has worked perfectly!
It does make me wonder if transmission path reflections in the wiring were causing (some of) the trouble and now it's in a different place it's OK. (I haven't reread the whole thread to see if that was mentioned or tried earlier, but I don't recall it.)

Not mentioned, but i prefer a supernatural explanation :) I'm sure the box was exhibiting all the original problems and wasn't touched - other than possibly being switched into standby - before performing as it should.

It does make me wonder if transmission path reflections in the wiring were causing (some of) the trouble and now it's in a different place it's OK.
Wouldn't be the first time that's happened, particularly with even cheap flyleads. First came across this with my father's first Freeview box when a Maplin lead, used for reasons now forgotten as I usually make my own, made one mux disappear. It only came to light when I was back home 16 miles away.

Even with properly-terminated leads you can have problems as the BL-type plug isn't constant impedance.

Here the output of HDR1 is split to feed the HDR2 spare and the TV. HDR2's signal strength is down by what would be expected (I'm not going downstairs to power it up and get the figure). The TV gives 100% on all but the low-power local mux and the Crystal Palace C55 HD mux, which it can't see at all. But I've no incentive to fix it.

Back