Problems with 1800t

joannenicholson

We have used this box for several years using a roof aerial. we have recently moved house and I have bought an aerial which has picked up all channels. I was excited to use it as I bought it on the off chance it would work (we had been using itv hub and were sick of the adverts as we record things and watch later). It worked ok for a week recording what we wanted, now it's only recording five minutes of a show ... I have no idea why. It also makes a whirring noise and just turns off randomly.
I was Messng with the settings today and tried to do an update, it just spun and spun so I don't know if it did it as I ended up just turning it off. I did another scan for channels and at this point it said couldn't record unless HDD was formatted... I thought bingo, this will fix it, so we have done that but it still won't record. I can see on the epg it's marked to record but when I go to media , it shows the file but with no programmes in it. Is it time to buy a new one? It could be three/five plus years old or can anyone advise what we could do ?

I did another scan for channels and at this point it said couldn't record unless HDD was formatted... I thought bingo, this will fix it, so we have done that but it still won't record. I can see on the epg it's marked to record but when I go to media , it shows the file but with no programmes in it. Is it time to buy a new one? It could be three/five plus years old or can anyone advise what we could do ?
Either the hard drive is reaching the end of life or the file system has been damaged by potentially correctable error. If you want to investigate you could take the hard drive out, attach it to a PC using a SATA to USB converter and use the free Crystal Diskinfo to look at the SMART data (the hard drives own record of its current condition). Post the results here and you will get advice about whether it is worth attempting to fix any hard drive problems. Alternatively you could just get the hard drive replaced or buy another recorder.

That sounds far too technical for me to attempt! If it's at end of life then we've definitely had our money's worth. I'll look out for a new one! I just wondered if it was a setting or something I could try x

Changing the HDD is very simple, but you have to weigh up the cost of a suitable HDD against the cost of a new unit, with the slight risk that changing the drive won't cure the problem.

Hi. I have

Grade A1 - Humax HDR-1800T 320GB Smart Freeview HD TV Recorder​

The other night, it failed. The blue light stays on all the time. The Humax screensaver/booting up screen comes on . Then it goes off. Then it comes on again. Repeat forever. Switching it on and on at the remote does nothing. I have unplugged it at the mains and it made no difference when switching it back on. It also makes no noise.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Back