Problems with BBC1

Ineluki

We seem to routinely have problems with content on BBC1. I've even tried recording items on 2 different BBC1 channels (NW and West Mids), and we get the same stuttering and pixelation, especially on recordings.

And so then we try to get the program up on iPlayer, and it keeps buffering, despite having 80Mb/s FTTP.

Is there something weird about BBC1? You'd expect it to be the strongest signal!

1TB 4000-T.

And you are postulating this is all to do with BBC ONE and no other service? iPlayer (or at least the Humax port to it) is notoriously unreliable. You might have a problem with one particular programme or iPlayer as a whole, but it won't be the set of all BBC ONE content with BBC TWO, BBC FOUR, etc, content not affected.

As to the pixellation: if it's down to reception that will affect either all the services on a particular multiplex or none of them. In the case of the main BBC mux, that means BBC TWO, BBC FOUR, BBC NEWS, CBBC, etc.

The alternative is that the pixellation is caused by your HDD stuttering, and this should affect all services from all MUXes, but particularly HiDef.

We seem to routinely have problems with content on BBC1. I've even tried recording items on 2 different BBC1 channels (NW and West Mids), and we get the same stuttering and pixelation, especially on recordings.

And so then we try to get the program up on iPlayer, and it keeps buffering, despite having 80Mb/s FTTP.

Is there something weird about BBC1? You'd expect it to be the strongest signal!

1TB 4000-T.
Yes there is something different to the SD version of the broadcast BBC 1 compared to the other channels that are broadcast on the same frequency (i.e. mux) . There are regional variations of BBC 1 SD, there are not variations of the other chanels on the same mux.
If you are still in the same location as 5 years ago you may be reciving from 3 different transmitters. What could have happened is that 2 of those transmitters have the same local BBC 1 variation and your box could have stored the weakest of the two as well as from the other BBC 1 SD variation.

Because it is logical that it should, which is not the same as 'it will'.
It possibly stores the first that it comes across rather than the strongest. Some people get around the problem by using a manual tune technique to tune in the strongest.
From what he said i n post #1, it is possible that he has two transmitters tuned. Could this be his problem, except that pixellation usually caused by weak signal as already mentioned.

Yes, the possibility that the box is tuned to the wrong transmitter specifically for BBC ONE only seems the likely solution. iPlayer problems are completely separate unless these boxes use a link from the EPG to catchup, in which case the wrong data may again be causing the difficulties.

On the HDR-FOX, we can inspect which broadcast frequency is sourcing each service, and that would reveal whether BBC ONE is being received on a different frequency from (say) BBC TWO or CBBC. Like I said before, it the pixellation is because of reception problems, the same should affect all services on the same mux (ie frequency).

We have BBC North West on channel 1, and BBC West Midlands on 801. We had a similar issue with the old T2 box, to be honest; most of our problems were with BBC1.

I'll try tweaking the manual tuning.

At least you don't lose your schedule now when you re-tune.

It possibly stores the first that it comes across rather than the strongest. Some people get around the problem by using a manual tune technique to tune in the strongest.
From what he said i n post #1, it is possible that he has two transmitters tuned. Could this be his problem, except that pixellation usually caused by weak signal as already mentioned.

It also seems to be more prevalent on some programmes than others. My partner is keen on her medical soaps (despite watching them from behind her hands when it gets messy) and both Casualty and Holby City seem particularly prone to problems. It may be just that these are peak-time broadcasts.

It also seems to be more prevalent on some programmes than others. My partner is keen on her medical soaps (despite watching them from behind her hands when it gets messy) and both Casualty and Holby City seem particularly prone to problems. It may be just that these are peak-time broadcasts.

I fixed this because to signal was too strong. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331692893518

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back