Problems with hand controller hdr1100s

Scouser

I use the humax controller to both start up my Sony tv and the box. Most of the time it works ok, but sometimes, randomly it drops the box out, and the tv gives out white noise. To get the tv working again, I have to switch off for at least 15 minutes, and then move the signal source back to hdmi1 with the tv controller. My solution thoughts are to separate the 2 controllers again to stop this- how do I do that.
Also, I can’t find out how to update the software. Cheers, Norman Lidbur

It's your TV that is at fault. The same will happen even if you use the TV's original handset.

The problem is your TV not remembering what input it was using before it was last turned off. That suggests it's memory-retention-in-standby isn't working, which could be as simple as dead battery or as complex as a faulty PSU or faulty non-volatile memory.

It happens whilst watching the tv, not when it’s first switched on. You can watch for a long time, and suddenly, any key action will cause the fault.

It's still the TV! You might be able to improve matters if you disable any HDMI CEC function (I believe Sony call theirs Bravia Sync).

Speak to them about it. Try to describe accurately what happens and when to them.

I thought that as well, but it does seem that the TV has a problem, and the sellers (or the insurers) are the people who are responsible for fixing it.

It's your TV that is at fault. The same will happen even if you use the TV's original handset.
How do you arrive at that?

Incidentally we have a 1010s which I believe is similar, and that typically takes 10 minutes or more to kill the HDMI connection after being put in standby, compared to the HDR-FOXs 10 seconds or so. I imagine that is why the OP has to wait so long before restarting.

How else do you explain it switching away from any source of digital video and landing on its analogue TV receiver input (hence the white noise)?
My first thought was that the 1100 remote had sent a signal to the TV (without knowing more about the set up I can only guess at reasons) which has caused it to change mode.

We get something similar with our set up (a new Android Sony) using separate remotes. If watching a recorded program on a PVR we accidentally press the channel change on the tv remote instead of the volume the TV changes to its own live TV. We then have to reselect the HDMI 1 input on the TV to get back to the PVR.

"sometimes randomly" is the key to my conclusion - if it was deterministic, it would be repeatable.

I tend to take a phrase like "sometimes randomly" as "I'm not sure about the circumstances". Thus I felt it could be a faulty remote or simple user error.
The description of the problem is, to me, rather vague and the "how do I separate the controllers again" question is a bit left field, but as I'm not familiar with the remote for the 1100 (it sounds as though it is different from the 1010 we have) I thought perhaps the whole OP might make sense to someone with that knowledge.

The exact TV set is not specified but the reference to insurance suggests it's newish. Would it even have an analogue receiver?

I have not yet come across any TV without an analogue tuner. When I asked a similar question a while back about TVs not being fitted with analogue tuners, the consensus seemed to be that it is still some way into the future.

Back