Problems with overlong and failed recordings

murrays

Last night I had a problem with a recording running over and with a number of recordings failing at the same time.

Recordings were set for

C4 HD Jamie's Money Saving Meals (20:00 to 20:30 )
this actually recorded 97 minutes instead of 30 - from 19:59 to 21:36. Playing back the T2 correctly showed (in the pause button popup) that Gadget man and Hot Chicken Shop were showing at the appropriate times. All 3 programmes are in the hmt file. The CFW displays Duration 96 minute(s). (Scheduled: 30).​

C4 Jamie's Money Saving Meals (20:00 to 20:30 )
not the HD version - don't ask me why this was set. I sometimes have a problem with the SD version of C4. On this occasion a 1 minute recording was made with played back as a blank screen.​

BBC2 Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food (20:30 to 21:00)
ITV Doc Martin (21:00 to 22:00)
BBC3 Some Girls (22:00 to 22:30)
Food Network Bitchin' Kitchen (22:00 to 22:30)

These show as "Recoding failed : unable to track programme" on the screen and in the CFW only hmt files are present. Last weeks episoded were all successful (except Some Girls - it's the first in series).

Any ideas?

Certain channels (C5 Channel4 etc.) have a poor reputation for setting Accurate Recording markers, these are start and stop markers used by the Humax to control recording when in the default AR recording mode, If you enable start or stop time 'padding' on your Humax AR is turned off and the Humax does not look for these transmitted markers, but instead uses the start and stop times listed in the EPG now and next data, it then adds the padding values

Thanks to both.

That's a very useful thread.

I use the default AR mode so that might explain it but it doesn't explain how the hmt file can reference all 3 programmes contained within it if the stop / start markers were not present. (Is there a tool like AV2HDR for the Foxsat that lets you view an hmt file, under the guise of editing it?)

How about the 5 failed recordings - all on different channels, it's not liklely that they all missed their start points.

I had 3 programmes scheduled last night.

BBC2 The Wrong Mans (21:00 to 21:30)
failed hmt file only

BBC1 New Tricks (21:00 to 22:00)
failed recorded from 21:19 to the end

C5 Castle (22:00 to 23:00)
successfully recorded

Is there a tool like AV2HDR for the Foxsat that lets you view an hmt file, under the guise of editing it?
Yes, the Custom Firmware has a package called hmt that can be used to display and change an hmt file, this will display the contents
Code:
 hmt The\ Snowman\ and\ the\ Snowdog_20121224_2000.hmt
Format:SD
Title:The Snowman and the Snowdog
Channel:4 (Channel 4)
Folder:/mnt/hd2/My Video/
Filename:The Snowman and the Snowdog_20121224_2000
Genre:Children (80)
EPG:Brand new charming animated sequel to Raymond Briggs's classic The Snowman. When a young boy and his mother move house, he builds a Snowman and a Snowdog who magically come to life.  [AD,S]
Raw file is encrypted on disk.

Flags: SD,Unlimited Copies,ODEncrypted,
Copy count:1

Scheduled start:1356379200 (Mon Dec 24 20:00:00 2012)
Scheduled duration:1800
Recording start:1356379203 (Mon Dec 24 20:00:03 2012)
Recording end:1356381008 (Mon Dec 24 20:30:08 2012)
Duration:1805
Play resumes at: 1469 seconds in.

Service ID (SID):8384
Event ID:55106
Transport Stream ID (TSID):8198
Originating Network ID (ONID):9018
Programme Map Table PID (PMTPID):260
Video PID:2826
Audio PID:2827
Bookmarks:0 =

The following commands are available to alter an hmt file

Code:
hmt
Humax HMT Tool v1.1.14, by af123, 2011-2013.

Syntax: hmt [command] <filename> [filename] ...
  Commands:
    +/-new        Mark/unmark recording as new.
    +/-lock      Mark/unmark recording as locked.
    +/-guidance  Mark/unmark recording as having guidance.
    +/-protect    Enable/disable protection (prevents decryption on copy).
    +/-encrypted  Mark/unmark recording as encrypted.
    +/-shrunk    Mark/unmark recording as shrunk.
    +/-dedup      Mark/unmark recording as deduped.
    -bookmarks    Display bookmarks.
    +settitle=<new title>
    +setsynopsis=<new synopsis>
    +setguidance=<new guidance>
    +setfolder=<new folder> (patch hmt only)
    +setfilename=<new filename> (patch hmt only)
    +setgenre=<genre> (can just specifiy initial part)
    +setresume=<resume point (seconds)> (-seconds to set from end)

Has anyone noticed an increase in failed recordings recently? I have never had an issue before but the last few weeks i have had quite a few. Peter Andre, Wentworth Prison, Jamie Oliver & the F1 in Korea to name a few. I havent changed anything to lead to this increase. Surely it can't just be bad luck?

No failed recordings from any of my HDR's. Having said that, I don't record/watch the programmes you mention. I do, however, regularly record from the main five stations, in HD when available.

Haven't had much chance to watch TV lately but I can definitely say that the main qualifying and race broadcasts for the Korean F1 recorded fine using AR. Both have been watched end-to-end without issue. :)

Been away for two weeks and all programmes scheduled recorded ok inc F1 Singapore and Korea.

Yes, the Custom Firmware has a package called hmt that can used to display and change an hmt file, this will display the contents ...

Thanks

I've "split" and deleted the parts that don't contain the recording I want.

But I've another overlong recording where hmt shows 5 EPG Blocks, the recording I want, three I don't want and a final "Block:5 Time:0 Offset:0".

The file is ~3.5 times larger than I need, but less than 4GB so I don't have the option to use "Split".

I've successfully trimmed the recording manually using nicesplit.

Is there a reason for the 4GB limit in the webif?

The custom firmware is a really nice package btw. Thanks to all involved

The 'Split' option was originally used to get around a 4GB streaming limit that was built into the Humax software, this has now been fixed

It also covers the 4GB file size limit for copying to FAT format media. Perhaps there is mileage in having a WebIF setting for the split size.

However, if all you want to do is remove unwanted beginning and end trailers, set bookmarks at the beginning and end of the part you want to keep and use the WebIF crop function.

(This topic seems to have strayed into custom firmware territory)

I think if would be a good idea to remove the 4GB minimum for split and crop (especially crop).

Provision a setting for the default split size would be a nice extra.

It also covers the 4GB file size limit for copying to FAT format media. Perhaps there is mileage in having a WebIF setting for the split size.

There is no limit for crop.

I'm on
Web interface version: 1.0.7-1
Custom firmware version: 2.18 (build 1707)
Humax Version: 1.02.32
with
nicesplice 1.4 installed

As expected, Split is only enabled for files > 4GB.
Crop is always disabled in the Opt+ menu no matter what the size.

Split works, nicesplice works. Have you any idea why Crop doesn't?

Crop will be disabled unless you have at least two bookmarks set on the recording. Otherwise it should be active.

Back