Programme Deletion Bug

Darren Jackson

Humax HDR-2000T with software 1.01.13

Whilst playing back a previously recorded programme, press "Media" and start playback of a different programme (without stopping the first one), then back in "Media" try to delete the first programme you were watching and the "Delete" option is greyed out (doesn't matter whether you use the "OK" or "Opt+" button to access the menu). It's as though when commencing playback of the second programme the Humax doesn't "stop" the first programme and therefore makes certain operations against it unavailable because it thinks it's still playing.

You can repeat this multiple times, making multiple programmes unavailable for deletion (and other operations). The programme state can be cleared with a play/stop of the effected programme(s).

Humax has been unable to reproduce this problem and claim no one else has this issue? That would surprise me as there's nothing unique about my box compared to all the others that rattled off the production line.

Please test and let me, and Humax, know how you get on. Thank you in advance.

This is perfectly normal, and is equally the case with the HDR-FOX. Until you release the recording, either by allowing it to play to the end, or by pressing "stop", the recording is locked and unavailable for file operations. Starting another recording playing without stopping the original first leaves it locked.

Humax should be perfectly capable of reproducing this "problem" - but it's not a problem, it's a feature. The dullards on Humax support probably just have a stock fob-off line, and don't bother applying any thought to their answers.

Humax has been unable to reproduce this problem and claim no one else has this issue?
That's the standard answer to any similar question from any company. You might as well urinate into the breeze as try and get them to fix their bugs. They don't give a f*** as long as they've had your money.

The proper solution would be not to let you start another play-back without stopping the first.

No, the proper solution is to automatically 'stop' the previous thing you were playing.

I would agree to a pop-up which says "This will stop the current recording playback and start another. Are you sure?" - but it's academic.

The proper solution would be not to let you start another play-back without stopping the first.
If I recall correctly the issue is not just triggered by starting to play a second recording but is also triggered by going into the portal or switching to standby.

Correct, it is.

I don't recall this raising too many eyebrows while we were getting to know the HDR-FOX, we all just accepted that it should be standard practice not to do anything else before stopping the playback. It's not a major inconvenience, although it would be more robust to handle it invisibly.

On the other hand, it isn't good discipline on the part of the user to just sloppily assume you can do anything you like and it will all work out OK in the end. It reminds me of the car owner who complained somebody couldn't get out of the car after he locked it with the remote keyfob - if you're in charge of a complex piece of machinery, don't you make an effort to familiarise yourself with its competent operation?

if you're in charge of a complex piece of machinery, don't you make an effort to familiarise yourself with its competent operation?
I do, but that doesn't mean the other idiot does. That's why we have the 'elf and safety laws.

I have been worried by this sporadic failure to "Delete" and the above posts are most helpful. I can now see that the effect is a significant failure by Humax to address the issue.

My friend watches a lot of TV and records a lot too. There are two circumstances in which she records:
A. When she is not watching the channel being recorded (eg. asleep perhaps);
B. When she is watching the same channel as being recorded. So why record it? In case the telephone rings of course.

In the case of "B" I have found such recordings resistant to being deleted. Now I realise that my friend sometimes switches to a different channel immediately upon (or even before) the completion of the recording. So she fails to "release" the recording. I believe that the user should not be blamed for this behaviour, it is quite natural and Humax should accommodate it in the control logic.

So I have to delete the troublesome recordings by "Resume Playback" or "Play from Start", then STOP, then DELETE.
TOO MUCH TROUBLE, HUMAX.

@John82 ... #1- I see it as a feature NOT a failure (It's the Humax making sure that as you have neither finished watching the entire recording nor specifically STOPPED the playing of the recording, that you don't inadvertently delete it as you may wish to finish watching it first). #2- Really, 3 button presses is TOO MUCH TROUBLE??? First world problems.

I'm all for calling out faulty bugs, but this ain't one.

Last edited:
So I have to delete the troublesome recordings by "Resume Playback" or "Play from Start", then STOP, then DELETE.
This is the same with HDR-FOX. The real problem is that there is no pop-up message explaining that the recording has been locked by suspended playback, and offering to delete it anyway. By providing feedback, the user would be trained.

Back