Programs recorded on FOXSAT compatibility

Well, Gentlemen,

My enquiry seems to have triggered a dispute over nomenclature. I think that's the right word, if it isn't please don't get heated about it.

I am retired now, after forty-five years in the electronic computing and machine controlling business, so here are my six eggs worth.
I would call a codec a data compressor whose aim is to reduce the amount of data to be stored and /or transmitted. Compressor's were used on a wide range of data transmissions (not only video and audio). Windows will compress the data on your HD to get more space. Once compressed you need a de-compressor to be able to read it again.

Encryption is an entirely different thing. Audible, for example, encrypt their audio books so that only their decryption (built into the Audible player) can read and play the data that you have bought. The reason for this is simple "Thou shalt not make numerous copies after paying for only one".
The recorded programs on Humax are unintelligible to any other device, as you have pointed out. The Humax encryption no doubt includes a compressor to save space.

As soon as I saw the word 'encryption' in the first answers to my original post I understood the nature of my problem. In fact, what I had hoped to do was not possible.

The users handbook for my Humax gives no info' about the 'ENC' note in the file list nor is there anything about the Black disc with a red cross. As I said before my Box will not work with a FAT 32 formatted disc - only with EXT3. Something I had to find out for myself - probably from a forum like this one - if not this.
There seems to be no support from Humax for any of their products. An e-mail to them about using the recorded USB discs that I have, with a new Box produced no answer except a recommendation to buy the latest. No warning that it wouldn't work.

Thank you for your warning about 'Smart TV's'. In the past I looked at the possibility of using one for internet access but wasn't impressed with the Browser (was that called Opera?) which seemed to be common to all makes.

Perhaps this is drifting away from the original subject of my post.

My thanks to all for their contributions

Ted

Dear All,

A correction to my post of this AM.

What the response from Humax actually said was
'The Foxsat HDR support FAT32 format for file transfers. If you are to repalce it with an HDR-1100s you would be able play them back on this unit via the external drive. " This doesn't seem to be true.

Ted

I'm sorry glt, but YOU are wrong. Why is a codec called a codec if it's not doing coding and decoding as you seem to be asserting?
Well, Gentlemen,

My enquiry seems to have triggered a dispute over nomenclature. I think that's the right word, if it isn't please don't get heated about it.

I am retired now, after forty-five years in the electronic computing and machine controlling business, so here are my six eggs worth.
I would call a codec a data compressor whose aim is to reduce the amount of data to be stored and /or transmitted. Compressor's were used on a wide range of data transmissions (not only video and audio). Windows will compress the data on your HD to get more space. Once compressed you need a de-compressor to be able to read it again.

Encryption is an entirely different thing. Audible, for example, encrypt their audio books so that only their decryption (built into the Audible player) can read and play the data that you have bought. The reason for this is simple "Thou shalt not make numerous copies after paying for only one".
The recorded programs on Humax are unintelligible to any other device, as you have pointed out. The Humax encryption no doubt includes a compressor to save space.

As soon as I saw the word 'encryption' in the first answers to my original post I understood the nature of my problem. In fact, what I had hoped to do was not possible.

The users handbook for my Humax gives no info' about the 'ENC' note in the file list nor is there anything about the Black disc with a red cross. As I said before my Box will not work with a FAT 32 formatted disc - only with EXT3. Something I had to find out for myself - probably from a forum like this one - if not this.
There seems to be no support from Humax for any of their products. An e-mail to them about using the recorded USB discs that I have, with a new Box produced no answer except a recommendation to buy the latest. No warning that it wouldn't work.

Thank you for your warning about 'Smart TV's'. In the past I looked at the possibility of using one for internet access but wasn't impressed with the Browser (was that called Opera?) which seemed to be common to all makes.

Perhaps this is drifting away from the original subject of my post.

My thanks to all for their contributions

Ted

Encrypted files aren't smaller. It's possible on the Humax Freeview+ pvrs to decrypt existing HD (and SD) recordings. They don't get larger when decrypted. The bit rate remains identical to the encrypted version. In fact they contain a significant amount of superfluous data that can be removed using the CF on a HDR FOX T2 to actually make them smaller. (See Shrink package).

It is true, but (and there's always a but) they are not playable if they were originally recorded in HD without nowster's patch on the Foxsat. HD recordings are encrypted on the Foxsat (without nowster's patch) but SD ones are not, unlike the Fox HDR T2 which encrypts all recordings, but decrypts SD on 'copy to external', and also will decrypt HD with a bit of jiggery pokery with flags.

There is a slim chance that some of the OP's HD recordings are not encrypted. The BBC did not enforce encryption on the HD channels on Freesat for several months after launch so they would have to be very old recordings (around 2009 if I remember correctly).

Additionally manual recording of the HD channels made in non freesat mode (enter non freesat and reboot) are not encrypted. Pretty sure this still works on a Foxsat not running the CF with nowsters patch.

Last edited:
Back