Providing Temporary Internet to a Non-Networked HDR-FOX

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
As this is a discussion about networking rather than the HDR-FOX or custom firmware per se, I have opened it in the 'Arms.

My supported user has no Internet, so I originally configured the HDR-FOX at base. If I want to log into the WebIF for maintenance purposes, I hook up a TP-LINK TL-WR702N in Router mode to the HDR-FOX Ethernet port, and then I can connect to the WebIF with my iPad via WiFi to the WR702N.

When it comes to updating packages etc, I expected to be able to throw my 3 MiFi into the mix. This links to the 3G/HSDPA mobile network and provides a WiFi signal that several devices can connect to simultaneously (ie it has router capabilities). I expected to connect to the MiFi with my iPad (as I usually do when out and about), but also from the HDR-FOX via the WR702N but this time in Client mode. The HDR-FOX registers a connection to the Internet, but I can't see the WebIF from the iPad - it appears that although the MiFi routes traffic from connected devices to the Internet, it does not pass traffic between connected devices.

My question is this: given the HDR-FOX, iPad, and MiFi, what can I use to make the HDR-FOX see the Internet via the MiFi, and the iPad see the HDR-FOX? At the moment, I'm thinking along the lines of a wired switch/router connected to the HDR-FOX and two WR702Ns - one to provide the WAN link to the MiFi and the other to provide a WiFi Access Point for the iPad. The switch would provide the router facilities, and two 702's is not a problem, I have several!

If the combined functionality can be achieved in a single box that would be ideal. I have a spare WiFi router / ADSL modem knocking about - does anybody think it could connect with the MiFi and route Internet traffic that way, even though the WiFi is not usually the WAN connection?

Can your MiFi be configured to turn wireless isolation off?

Does your ipad not have a bridge mode so you can connect your hummy to it via an otg cable? Is the ipad not capable of lan connections? A cheap laptop might be better.

If the combined functionality can be achieved in a single box that would be ideal. I have a spare WiFi router / ADSL modem knocking about - does anybody think it could connect with the MiFi and route Internet traffic that way, even though the WiFi is not usually the WAN connection?
I have, and use, a solution which I would have said is your answer, except for the replies previous to this post.
It is a single box which provides Wifi, a link to mobile broadband, 2 ethernet ports, and local routing as well as connections to internet.
This box was provided by Vodafone of Spain, and I have seen them advertised on ebay and the like.
I don't have the details under my fist, but can hunt them out if this is what you'd like

Sounds possible, I think this box has the 3G link built in? I could switch the SIM from the MiFi, but I imagine the box is locked to Vodafone. The point is to avoid any further investment in anything at all other than maybe an extra piece of kit, and to keep the convenience of the iPad which I generally have with me anyway, but what you suggests sounds good if I did not already have a 3 MiFi.

I do have a small Linux netbook, which could (probably) extend its WiFi link to the MiFi via Ethernet to the 'FOX in a similar vein to that suggested by Mike0001 above, but I regard that as a less satisfactory solution and does not meet the stated specification.

What I think would work is a non-ADSL WiFi router (one with an Ethernet WAN port), with a 702 connected to the WAN port providing the WiFi link to the MiFi and the router providing the WiFi link to the iPad and the Ethernet link to the 'FOX. This might even be possible by reconfiguring my spare ADSL router to ignore the ADSL. I think I already have a WiFi router out on loan!

Last edited:
It is a single box which provides Wifi, a link to mobile broadband, 2 ethernet ports, and local routing as well as connections to internet.
This box was provided by Vodafone of Spain, and I have seen them advertised on ebay and the like.
I don't have the details under my fist, but can hunt them out if this is what you'd like
I would be interested in the details (for a different application).

For reference, I have seen ADSL modem/routers with a dongle socket to use a 3G/4G connection as a fall-back. If you are in a good 4G area I can well see a 4G connection as price-competitive with ADSL, and faster. There are still plenty of places with no access to fibre (including me), or even ADSL!

The TP-Link 702's brother, the TL-WR710N, might do what you want. £20 on Amazon at the moment: link here.

Edit: I think this will work if you use the MiFi to provide a link to the internet and set-up the 710 in WISP client mode.

Last edited:
But again the problem is to bridge the WAN to the MiFi by WiFi, and route local traffic between the 'FOX and the iPad. When I have tried using the 702 in WiFi bridge mode I have never managed to get it working. I can foresee the 710 needing a 702 as well, to provide the WAN link.

£7.58 has bought me a refurb Belkin Surf F7D1301. Saves me reclaiming the Sitecom.

Internet <3G> MiFi <WiFi1> 702 <Cat5> Belkin Router (WAN port)

iPad <WiFi2> Belkin Router <Cat5> HDR-FOX

Last edited:
I have a TL-WR710N (I bought it to network a portable USB hard drive, but this function seems to be a work in progress) so I had a look. I don't have a MiFi so I used my Android phone as a WiFi hotspot and connected to it wirelessly using the 710 in WISP client router mode. The 710 was given a WAN IP address upon connection. I then connected an ethernet port on the 710 to a HDR-FOX (cat. 5e cable). The HDR-FOX was assigned an IP address (different subnet to the WAN) by the 710 (DHCP). I could access the portal/ iPlayer by this method. I then connected wirelessly to the 710 with an Android tablet: I could open Web-If and download packages. The HDR-FOX also connected without problem to the 710 using a wireless dongle.

You have probably already solved your problem, but here is my solution that help others.

I had problems attempting to use a USB Wifi adapter to connect my Hummy to my router as I believe the signal just wasn't strong enough (router upstairs, Hummy downstairs in older building).

I ended up getting a decent connection using a Netgear WNCE2001 "Universal Wifi adapter for Smart TV & Blu-ray". It is essentially like the USB Wifi unit, but with an Ethernet connector instead of USB, and (in my case) gets its IP address over DHCP from the router. The Hummy then also gets its IP address by DHCP from the same router.

I think this unit has a much better aerial system than the USB Dongle which is why it works for me. It does also require a separate Wall Wart power supply, or can be powered from the USB connector on the Hummy.

Further info http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produ...ming-home-theater/WNCE2001.aspx#tab-techspecs

That is very similar to the WR702N mentioned above - but would not solve my problem anyway. I'm still waiting for my WiFi router to turn up.

I've been having a play around with this again. My first step was to get the TP-Link TL-WR702n connected in client mode to the Huawei E585 (MiFi) access point - I can survey the MiFi WiFi connection, and put in the credentials, but the connection doesn't register at the MiFi. Stumped.

I've no solution, just a comment:
At one point I was trying to connect my HDR via wifi to either of my 2 routers (one configured as an access point). They were both slightly different models of Netgear DG834. One connected, but the other didn't, and I was surprised as the one which didn't was the one with less signal at the HDR. Only difference I could see was a slight difference in the security mode (which doesn't seem to bother my other devices, except possibly the Kindle e-reader)

Back