Pulse Killer query

It is easy enough to try, but apart from the front panel the case is metal: the shiny black appearance of the case is a coating.

Edit: I have taken several apart, old ones (with loader 7.30a) to a relatively new one (bought second hand but came with loader 7.33a so must be quite new) and all have the same metal shell. I don't know if this was different in the last iteration (loader 7.34a, with 1.03.06 firmware and the new tuner with vertical rf terminals).
The new hardware RE version still has the metal shell, but mine does not have the earthing cable between the chassis and the front USB PCB, that the others have.

Tim.ivn: is there a central heating boiler near your set up? I installed a HDR-Fox for my mother so that she can record Murder, She Wrote and suchlike:rolleyes: There is a boiler behind the fire, and when it fires up the electronic ignition does briefly affect the picture. The Hummy is about 4 metres away from the boiler.

Personally, i would try going back to stock firmware to see if the "interference" is still present as this will make sure none of the packages are running..
If it is still present, then at least you can rule out software and a maxed cpu.

Or, if you know telnet, run the "top" command (if i remember correctly) to view the linux version of task manager and check for cpu spikes that coincide with the interference.

Apart from the ventilation problem, you would need to earth the foil and totally enclose the set in the foil to make a good Faraday cage, and just earthing the case would be almost as good. But give it a try, watch out for overheating and let us know when it makes no difference. It should make it look quite pretty for Christmas though. The interference is almost certainly being picked up on the aerial feeder.

Back